Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos/videos from iPhone after import by Image Capture App

Image Capture app in Mac used to have a "delete" icon or selection. Delete has now disappeared from Image Capture.

Can anyone advice how I can delete photos/videos after I import them through Image Capture?

Thanks.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 8:27 AM

It still does

from Image Capture Help (a good place to look for help)

Transfer images

Many cameras, and devices such as your iPhone that contains a camera, can use Image Capture for transferring images, video clips, and MP3 sounds to your computer. Once you transfer the items, you can delete them from the device.

Open Image Capture for me

1. Connect your device to your computer, then turn the device on.If the device is locked with a passcode, enter it.
  2. In Image Capture, select the device in the Devices list.
  3. Use the buttons at the bottom of the Image Capture window to view the thumbnails as a list (User uploaded file) or to see larger thumbnails (User uploaded file), or to rotate (User uploaded file) or delete (User uploaded file) images.Drag the slider in the lower-right corner of the window to change the thumbnail size.
  4. Click the Import To pop-up menu, then choose where to save the images or which app to use to open the image.
  5. To import only some of the photos, select those photos, then click Import. To import all the photos, click Import All.To automatically transfer images from your device to your computer whenever you connect it to your computer, click the Show Hide button User uploaded file in the lower-left corner of the window. Click the “Connecting this device opens” pop-up, then choose AutoImporter.
  6. Select “Delete after Import” to remove the items from the device after transferring them to your computer. You can also select individual items on your device, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.

LN

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2015 8:27 AM in response to ruumifrommumbai

It still does

from Image Capture Help (a good place to look for help)

Transfer images

Many cameras, and devices such as your iPhone that contains a camera, can use Image Capture for transferring images, video clips, and MP3 sounds to your computer. Once you transfer the items, you can delete them from the device.

Open Image Capture for me

1. Connect your device to your computer, then turn the device on.If the device is locked with a passcode, enter it.
  2. In Image Capture, select the device in the Devices list.
  3. Use the buttons at the bottom of the Image Capture window to view the thumbnails as a list (User uploaded file) or to see larger thumbnails (User uploaded file), or to rotate (User uploaded file) or delete (User uploaded file) images.Drag the slider in the lower-right corner of the window to change the thumbnail size.
  4. Click the Import To pop-up menu, then choose where to save the images or which app to use to open the image.
  5. To import only some of the photos, select those photos, then click Import. To import all the photos, click Import All.To automatically transfer images from your device to your computer whenever you connect it to your computer, click the Show Hide button User uploaded file in the lower-left corner of the window. Click the “Connecting this device opens” pop-up, then choose AutoImporter.
  6. Select “Delete after Import” to remove the items from the device after transferring them to your computer. You can also select individual items on your device, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.

LN

Feb 3, 2015 10:10 AM in response to ruumifrommumbai

Image Capture app in Mac used to have a "delete" icon or selection. Delete has now disappeared from Image Capture.

The “Delete after Import” option is no longer available, if you have enabled iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on your iPhone with iOS 8.1.3. Are you using this option? Then the photos are not stored on your device, but in iCloud, and you are are only seeing shadow copies You have to delete the photos from iCloud to remove them from your iPhone. Or delete them directly on on your iPhone; that will remove them from iCloud as well.

iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ

Feb 4, 2015 1:31 AM in response to léonie

Hi

You gave the right answer that if I use iCloud Photo Library (beta) the delete facility is removed. However, the photos and videos are still on my iPhone and not transferred to iCloud. I have 159Gb available on my iCloud from 200GB I have subscribed.

Also I observe that I have Image Capture does not give the exact number of photos on the iPhone. The number varies!

I am quite confused with all this as much as also with the various Albums - example Photo Library, Photo Stream, Photo Sharing, Camera Roll. What and why are these there?

Also what does Image Capture relate to from these - Photo Library, Photo Stream, Photo Sharing, Camera Roll?

Apple can definitely make things simple as this is confusing.

Request your help.

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2015 1:51 AM in response to ruumifrommumbai

. However, the photos and videos are still on my iPhone and not transferred to iCloud. I have 159Gb available on my iCloud from 200GB I have subscribed.

How many photos do you have on your iPhone?

iCloud Photo Library (Beta) does only store the photos you are seeing on your mobile iOS8 devices.

Any phot you have on your iPhone or iPad will also be stored in iCloud, if you enable iCloud Photo Library. If you delete the photo from your device, it will be removed from iCloud as well. There is no way to have the photo in iCloud, but not on your device. You can only opt to have only an optimized version on the device, to save some space. Then iCloud will store the full resolution originals, and the iPhone/iPad lower resolution previews.

"Optimize [device] Storage" from Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library

I am quite confused with all this as much as also with the various Albums - example Photo Library, Photo Stream, Photo Sharing, Camera Roll. What and why are these there?

If you are seeing "Camera Roll", you don't have the iCloud Photo Library enabled.

The different albums in iOS8 are explained here - see the link: Get help finding your Photos in iOS 8

Feb 4, 2015 3:11 AM in response to léonie

. However, the photos and videos are still on my iPhone and not transferred to iCloud. I have 159Gb available on my iCloud from 200GB I have subscribed.

I have about 4,500 photos and videos on iPhone

iCloud Photo Library (Beta) does only store the photos you are seeing on your mobile iOS8 devices.

Any phot you have on your iPhone or iPad will also be stored in iCloud, if you enable iCloud Photo Library. If you delete the photo from your device, it will be removed from iCloud as well. There is no way to have the photo in iCloud, but not on your device. You can only opt to have only an optimized version on the device, to save some space. Then iCloud will store the full resolution originals, and the iPhone/iPad lower resolution previews.

"Optimize [device] Storage" from Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library

I have done this and I am assuming iCloud is doing it's job. But when I see in iTunes that photos and videos are occupying maximum space, I am worried.

If you are seeing "Camera Roll", you don't have the iCloud Photo Library enabled.

I don't see Camera Roll any longer!

The different albums in iOS8 are explained here - see the link: Get help finding your Photos in iOS 8

Feb 4, 2015 3:46 AM in response to ruumifrommumbai

I have about 4,500 photos and videos on iPhone

I just checked on iTunes and it shows 5,387 pictures holding 36GB. iPhone memory in Image Capture shows 2,236 pictures till I use Autoimport and then it shows 4,436 photos! What is the problem?

May 17, 2015 2:20 AM in response to jasje

I just figured it out between my iPhone and my MacBook Pro!

Here are the steps. Very easy.

Note: Make sure you imported all your images before attempting this!

1. Plug your phone into your MacBook laptop and wait for the Image Capture to load.

2. Under devices, select iPhone and then go to Edit menu -> Select All.

3. Hit the Delete icon in red color in front of the "Import To:" word. That's it.

Jan 20, 2016 2:55 AM in response to ruumifrommumbai

I am not sure if you were able to solve your situation.

Using the built in Image Capture software (on Macs) you are able to access your mobile device (after connecting by cable), selecting your connected devices, select the files that you want to delete (or Command + A for all) then click the red delete button.

The below link details this in some more detail.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.