Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini display issue after mirroring to apple tv

Hey everyone. I been having a problem with my mac mini late 2012 after installing Yosemite. Here is what is happening to me... I have my mac mini in the living room and my ATV3 in my room, both are connected to the LG TVs via HDMI. When I want to see something from my computer in my room I connect it to the ATV via airplay mirroring my display, then I turn off the TV in my living room and continue watching in my room. Everything work perfect till I decide to disconnect my computer of the mirroring option and get back to my living room, then, I turn on the tv but there is any signal in the tv.

So, I already tried this:

Connect and disconnect the hdmi.

Change HDMI cable, already 3.

Change to another port of the TV.

Tried the thunderbolt to hdmi adaptor from Griffin.

Tried the thunderbolt to VGA adaptor from apple.

I tried to put to sleep and awake the computer.

Nothing of the above worked.

I had the idea to get into my computer via Screen Sharing and realize that the computer is still working, so I checked the display option in system preference, and the it appear Unknown Display, I tried the Detect Display option but nothing happened.

Then I decided to go to the About, and the information of the graphic card disappeared.

The interesting thing is, if I go to the airplay option and a connect to the ATV again the TV start working again, but if I disconnect it again and turn off and on the TV, it happened again. Restarting the computer also fix the problem, but I don't want to do it every time that I use airplay.

What could be the problem? Anyone experience the same thing? if yes, is there a workaround?

I been having this problem since the OSX 10.10, I already updated to 10.10.2 and the ATV to 7.0.3, and I am still having this problem.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Late 2012 and ATV3 with 7.0.3

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 8:11 AM

6 replies

Feb 3, 2015 12:04 PM in response to thinker101

I have the same problem on my 2014 Mac Mini and I have opened a case with Apple Support as it is still under support.

Their last statement to me was that this is a known problem that Apple Engineering have been able to replicate. It is being worked on but may not be of a very high priority. I have already upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.2 and the recent release for the Apple TV but it has not solved the problem.

When not using the ATV I now keep it powered off. I usually have to restart my Mac Mini after using the ATV.

If you are covered by Apple Support perhaps you would open a case with them.

Feb 25, 2015 2:07 AM in response to bso

Here is a link to Apple Support in the UK

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/contact/

If you are outside the UK you may need to search for the equivalent in your country.

If you have purchased your Mac Mini recently you are entitled to 90 days technical support. Even if you are slightly outside this you may find that they will take your call.

Click on the Get Started and open a case on-line and then either call the Support line or ask for a call back.

Apr 13, 2015 12:22 PM in response to thinker101

Same here - but I also had to apply and update to my Apple TV (to version 7.2(7512)).

I normally control my Mac Mini through Screen Sharing on my MacBook and I've noticed a couple of glitches that seem to be related to this issue. For example immediately on selecting the Apple TV from the Airplay Display menu the Screen Sharing on the MacBook goes completely black and has to be restarted. Another example is when I disconnect the Apple TV then the Airplay Display menu will not display correctly on the Shared Screen on the MacBook. Again restarting of the Screen Sharing on the MacBook cured the problem.

I have reported both of these issues back to AppleCare.

Mac mini display issue after mirroring to apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.