Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music skips on Windows 8.1 64-bit with iTunes 12.1

Okay, this is probably going to sound strange, but its true.....

When I am listening to music in iTunes 12.1 and I have Google Chrome opened, the music skips. I can open any other application and not have that problem, just only when Chrome is opened. Needless to say, I switched to Firefox and now the music does not skip. Has anyone else experienced this?

My PC specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit

AMD A6-3620 (4 CPUs) ~ 2.2GHz

NVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti (4GB memory) Dedicated Graphics Card

8GB RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy Fx Dedicated Sound Card

1920x1080 screen resolution

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 11:59 AM

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" label appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems. Users have generally reported that playback issues seem to be associated with web browser activity, though this doesn't seem to be limited to one specific browser, and may occur even if no browser is running.

Some users have reported that after installing this alternative version it is necessary to adjust the "Play audio using:" selection in Edit > Preferences > Playback to restore glitch-free audio.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Dannydb

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" label appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems. Users have generally reported that playback issues seem to be associated with web browser activity, though this doesn't seem to be limited to one specific browser, and may occur even if no browser is running.

Some users have reported that after installing this alternative version it is necessary to adjust the "Play audio using:" selection in Edit > Preferences > Playback to restore glitch-free audio.

Feb 12, 2015 3:26 PM in response to ItalianGF8

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The section Install missing components may allow you to install Apple Application Support.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If the advice above doesn't resolve things you could try this alternate version:

iTunes 12.1.0.71 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) - itunes64setup.exe (2015-01-28)

which is a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit version of the core application, similar to previous 64-bit releases.

Or roll back to the previous build:

tt2

Feb 13, 2015 7:03 AM in response to hhgttg27

Yeah! This worked for me! I had this problem until i thought this post.. after some days ago my songs on iTunes 12.1 always fought when I used the chrome, it was only with the chrome, mozilla not the case in this.

Now, after i downloaded this version of the iTunes and adjusted that option in the preferences, it now works perfect! Thanks!

Feb 14, 2015 6:04 AM in response to felipecb

Unfortunately this does not work for me, After the update to 12.1 the music playback stops briefly for 1 sec or less. This is quite annoying since all my music library is there and it would not be the easiest task to reinstall. I hope that they will fix it soon. (Windows 7 64 bit,Intel i72670qm, 8gb ram, nvidia geforce gt540m on a dell laptop)

Music skips on Windows 8.1 64-bit with iTunes 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.