Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Airplay keep dropping?

I work in a school technology department. I'm "the mac guy." So it's on my shoulders to figure out why Airplay is so unreliable on our school's network. After several minutes of streaming from iOS devices to an AppleTV, the stream will just stop. I've heard this complaint from all the users of AppleTVs on campus as well as having experienced it myself.

In my office, we have an AppleTV setup that connects to some nice Bose speakers in the ceiling. I've been testing by putting on iTunes radio and just listening while I work. When I Airplay from my iPhone or iPad, I'm lucky if I get through a whole song. Sometimes, oddly, it will go for 15 or 20 minutes, but that's about the max I've been getting from it. When the music does suddenly stop playing, the AppleTV has disappeared from the Airplay options, yet a moment after pulling up the Airplay menu, it will slide right back in as if it's just been discovered. I can reselect the AppleTV and start Airplaying again, but only for a limited time. I have reproduced this issue with the AppleTV both wired with Ethernet and over our wifi network.

However, I'm not "the network guy." He is not an Apple user and isn't particularly helpful in resolving this issue, since it seems to be isolated to Apple devices. What I have gleaned thus far is that is does appear to be related to the network. We have a separate "off-campus" wifi network that we use for testing. When I switch to this network, Airplay works perfectly for as long as I ask it to. When I switch it back to the regular school network, the Airplay becomes inconsistent again.

What can I tell him? He believes me that it's a network issue, but is uninterested in fixing it because he doesn't know where to look or what settings to change. If only I could start suggesting possible solutions for him. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Server, OS X 10.9.4 with Server 3.1.2 running on a Mac mini

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 12:48 PM

14 replies

Feb 4, 2015 5:47 AM in response to atoss

It's quite common for folks to be defensive about their networks, I see it here quite regularly. Sadly I don't have good news for you, It's rare that I ever see these people change their minds. The best I can offer is to suggest you demonstrate the equipment working in another environment, be willing to accept that fault could lie anywhere but the solution is not on the Apple TV because it has very few settings that you can change. I'm not at all certain but I do believe that Apple airplay requires a more robust network than other systems.

Feb 4, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you, Mr. Churchill. And might I say that I've enjoyed repeatedly listening to your "Finest Hour" speech on YouTube.

That said, I appreciate your comments on my issue. I think my biggest hurdle is giving our network guy something to look for on the network. Perhaps particular settings that Airplay requires. I can't determine what on the network may be periodically interfering with Airplay, so no one knows where to start looking.

Any thoughts?

Feb 4, 2015 6:09 AM in response to atoss

I'm conscious that school networks often have advanced security features that I don't know much about (not that I know that much to start with), but this is my boilerplate for home users.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Feb 4, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for you assistance. Though, I have done all of this, multiple times throughout the year (and more) and believe that I have definitely identified the issue as a problem on the Network. Airplay does actually work, I would say quite well except that it suddenly disconnects after several minutes. The issue does not persist on another known good network (with only default router settings enabled). And it's across multiple access points. I believe the issue lies in somewhere in the main network settings on the or settings duplicated on multiple switches throughout campus. Fortunately, the AppleTV and the multiple devices that are used with it are confirmed to behave exactly as designed.

Thanks agin... I'll continue snooping the interwebs in search potential network conflicts with Airplay.

Feb 4, 2015 8:21 AM in response to atoss

I'm afraid I have some bad news. I am in the same position as you and we are constantly having AirPlay issues. Our network equipment is from Ruckus (ZD and APs) and it's been looked over by our network admin as well as the technician from the company we go through. We've tried so many different things but still get Airplay dropouts constantly. I wonder: when you tested using your off-campus wifi, did you have more than the one AppleTV and device trying to Airplay? I have to wonder if having more than 1 or 2 AppleTVs on a given network is causing problems that Apple won't acknowledge.

Feb 4, 2015 9:03 AM in response to AdamBritt

wifi works on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

2.4Ghz is a pretty busy band dect wireless landline phones use it, bluetooth use it, microwave ovens send out noise on it and likely several others

you could get interference from neighbours both from their wifi as well as their other equipments using the frequency

that being said then wifi use channels like say channel 11 if neighbours have wifi networks using the same channel again you have interference

5Ghz is less busy but the higher frequency mean shorter wave length which mean the signal is easier to block by say a well, and if there are iron water pipes in the wall even worse

last by not least as often as wifi equipment just breaks it become periodic defect or defect in some aspects of their workings so a failing router or repeater or switch could cause issues in some cases at some times

Jan 13, 2016 10:34 AM in response to atoss

I see this is an old thread, for whats its worth now- I have had problems with airplay dropping off every 5-10 minutes since I moved in this house 1 1/2 years ago. I was determined that it was network. Had verizon guy come so many times and go over all possible connection issues, Got extenders and best cables money could buy. Every verizon guy said airplay is notorious for having drop offs, not much we can do for you with that. I didn't believe them till 2 hours ago when I finally decided to hardwire (cat6) my apple tv to my router. Now I am listening to music without drop offs. I feel like a fool but so happy I can enjoy music again.

Why does Airplay keep dropping?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.