Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else having an issue with TCP connections using iCloud for Windows?

Hi,

Before I asked this question, I did wait to see if any related questions came up, but none did, so I submit it now.

On my admittedly older laptop running Windows 7 64b Home, I've run into difficulties with the iCloud for Windows app to the extent that I had to uninstall it.

It would that, as my laptop was running, in the background, iCloudServices.exe would endlessly iterate TCP connections, which, while not actively sending or receiving any data, after some hours would number over 100 instances, taking up resources, and grinding my laptop's WiFi connection to a grindingly slow pace. I ended up, within the app, turning off everything, iCloud Drive and Photos, (I never used bookmarks), but still this would continue to occur.

I contacted Apple Support, explaining what was going on, and they stated they only dealt with IOS and gave me a Microsoft Support number. When I called Microsoft support, I came more and more to the realization that the issue was specifically with the iCloud for Windows app, as that was the only software that was endlessly creating and not closing TCP connections as it was. How was Microsoft supposed to solve an issue with Apple code?

So I called Apple back, whereupon they insisted it was a Microsoft issue. I explained other cloud services installed on the same computer were not having the same issue, it was unique to ICloudServices.exe. They stated they only dealt with IOS. I stated I purchased an iPad Air less than 7 months ago, and was trying to run iCloud in support of that. They again stated they only dealt with IOS, and suggested I again try Microsoft. I asked them if it was reasonable to expect Microsoft to solve issues with Apple code? They said regardless, there was zero support offered for anything having to do with Windows, and all I could do was uninstall the app, which I did, though that did not feel very satisfactory to me. My thinking is, if Apple writes a Windows app in support of their hardware, they should offer support for it.

Anyway, I was just wondering, is this an issue unique to me? or have others experienced a similar issue? I found this issue by opening the Windows Resource Monitor, looking under the Networking tab, and scrolling through the TCP Connections section to find 100+ concurrent iCloudServices.exe instances listed, whereas even Chrome, with multiple tabs and extensions, topped out at around 20.

My one month old Desktop, DYI, sports a solid Asus 1150 MoBo, i7-4790k cpu, 16GB Ram, and an EVGA GTX 970 video card. I list some specs only to illustrate this computer has no hardware issues in comparison to my long in tooth laptop. On this desktop, running Win 8.1 Pro 64b, at least as many, identifiably Apple, background service TCP connections are created even compared to Chrome, regardless of many tabs being open, many extensions, and even some related apps. Adobe does not even come close, though I run the full CC subscription. On this new computer, running Windows 8.1 Pro 64b, there are currently over 50 TCP connections and loopbacks that do not identify themselves, with just a - for the Image, and PID. With the experience on my laptop, I wonder how many of these are generated by Apple software, if not specifically iCloud software?

The frustrating aspect of these connections is they seem in no way active, While the Chrome and Adobe connections can be seen to be transferring data, as long as I am not running iTunes, or so have my iPad actually plugged in, it seems 99% of the time these iCloudServices.exe connections are just taking up ports, neither sending nor receiving any data discernable to me under the Processes with Network Activity, or Network Activity lists, both displayed in the same window as the TCP Connections in the Windows Resource Monitor.

Though I am fairly ignorant as regards coding, it seems as if there is no call to close a connection, very specifically, iCloudServices.exe, when it is no longer needed, and the next time a connection is needed, a new one is opened, rather than accessing the one previously opened. The only other reason I could imagine this might be occurring is if my Norton Internet Security software might mask and/or block the port after a certain time of inactivity.

Anyone out there have any ideas or advice about this? Thanks in advance.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Windows 8, also Windows 7

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 12:56 PM

13 replies

Feb 5, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Brian of SummaeStudios

I have now confirmed this does occur on my new Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop, as today there were over 200 TCP connections for iCloudServices.exe. It seems every time iCloudServives.exe needs a TCP connection, it creates a new one, and it never closes the old one.

Again only other possibility I can imagine is Norton Security blocking the port after a certain period of inactivity. Not sure how to validate this or fix it though, which is why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks,

Brian

Feb 24, 2015 12:00 AM in response to Brian of SummaeStudios

I have the same problem on Windows 7. I am encountering (I think) network problems and wondering if this has something to do with it.

You're right -- it is ridiculous for Apple to refer you to Microsoft to fix Apple's code. Apple is more than iOS. Perhaps there is another support group that supports iCloud for Windows?

Here is some info about CLOSE_WAIT.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/janelewis/archive/2010/03/09/explaining-close-wait.as px

Feb 24, 2015 6:30 PM in response to jared275

Thanks jared,

I'm still dealing with this issue through Apple. Some time after I posted this, I contacted Apple again. They did start a case up for me, as I was experiencing the same behavior on two different machines, with two different versions of Windows.

So far it remains unsolved. I've logged iClouds for Windows on my desktop, which is brand new, then logged for awhile after completely uninstalling Norton Security Suite, depending on the Microsoft security for some time, and finally logged after I uninstalled iCloud for Windows, restarted, installed a clean download, and connected using a completely different test account, which Apple set up for me. None of this made any difference. Looking at the logs, it seems every 10 minutes, iCloudServices.exe creates a new TCP connection to confirm I'm using less than 5GB on iCloud, (which I am by a good margin, using less than 2GB), it seems this connection is not closed, and when the next iteration rolls around 10 minutes later, a new TCP connection is created. I come very close to having 6 TCP connections created per hour, until I restart my computer. This works out to... 6 x 24 = 144/day.

Perhaps the article you posted will shed some further light on this. I'm thinking seeing the state of the connection through netstats, at the least, could help.

For the last week, I've been putting a hold on further logging, as Apple wants me to create a new user account on one of my computers, install iCloud for Windows there, and log it running in the other account. This however basically means I cannot use my computer for a fair number of hours, and I've been busy enough with work the past week that I haven't the time or energy to afford to set this up and run it. I've had need of my computers too much for the past week.

Mar 6, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Brian of SummaeStudios

Hi Brian,

Hope you haven't taken the action plan of creating a new account / profile on Windows yet. I logged bug

19557353 "iCloud Control Panel 4.0.2 services consuming extraordinary resources" Opened on 21-Jan-2015, STATUS: Open

addressing several defects in iCloud Control panel, all have been solved except the one you are describing.

Feel free to refer your case to this bug. I have reproduced this problem on Windows 7 / 8 / 10 - x86 / x64 all with the same results.

This is an iCloud Control Panel software issue with iCloudServices.exe.

If you have not done so, may I suggest downloading TCPView from sysinternals (Microsoft).

It's a single exe that runs without installation and will give you a graphical view of netstat.

An added plus is that it will let you select the range of CLOSE_WAIT connections and right click to close them.

Mar 7, 2015 10:46 PM in response to willieb_appldev

Good to hear. Also confirms it is not just my hardware, though I suspected this as the same issue occured on my Win 7 pro x64 laptop, and new Win 8 pro x64 desktop. I did not yet get the chance to run my new desktop under another account. I'm thinking part of the reason was I'd the sense it would be a good deal of work and distraction that would lead to no different result - again as the issue already occurred on two different computers.

I'll try that TCPView, though I am at least semi-comfortable in command line, if a bit rusty. I'm betting the ability to select a range on the connections could help, though I'll have to see what range iCloudServices.exe creates connections in. I've actually uninstalled iCloud for Windows, thinking I'd not re-install until I could afford the time and attention to set up that other account, or the issue was resolved.

I'd be willing to submit the issue/case to that bug, just wondering where the buglist for Apple is found.

Thanks for your time and effort,

Brian

May 13, 2015 6:35 PM in response to willieb_appldev

UPDATE: Apple Developer Bug ID 19557353 (This bug is not published - internal to Apple)

I received an update from Apple today stating that

this might be fixed with iTunes 12.1.1. Please retest.

I have retested with the latest iTunes and iCloud software, and

the issue persists. Below are my current versions.

C:\Program Files\iTunes\

iTunes 12.1.2.27 (64bit)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\

iCloud Control Panel 4.1

iCloud.exe -- FileVer 3.3.10.1 ProdVer 4.1.0.0

iCloudServices -- FileVer 3.2.26.2 ProdVer 4.0.1.0

I have implemented the following workaround that can be automated

through scheduler until this is resolved for anyone interested

here's the info:

Using the free CurrPorts from NirSoft

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Create a batch file to run the command line switches as follow and

schedule it to run at some interval.

REM @echo off

REM syntax: /close <Local Address> <Local Port> <Remote Address> <Remote Port> {Process Name}

%userprofile%\DESKTOP\cports /close * * 17.172.116.61 443 iCloudServices.exe

Willie B.

May 28, 2015 6:03 AM in response to willieb_appldev

Thanks, I look forward to a fix for this problem which has been around for quite a while actually... this appears to be a problem where icloudservices.exe is not responding to a remote connection close. In that case, the connection sticks around in the close-wait state. One workaround is to periodically restart the service. The other is to use Mark Russinovich's app tcpview (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb897437.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-21472 17396) to manually close the connections periodically. I have to say that there are many services that don't bother to close connections when the remote side asynchronously closes them - for example, my Dropbox server has the same problem except on a much lower scale so it's not as noticeable. A rule of thumb is that any connection hanging in the close-wait state usually means a software coding error by the program that opened it.

Aug 3, 2015 4:21 AM in response to JAta2

Spot on everyone. I had well over 3000 CLOSE_WAIT TCP connections and used TCPview to kill them selectively to leave just the one active connection. It looks like Apple has a bit of work to do here as well as fixing the product to work with Windows 10 and Outlook.

The performance increase achieved by killing these connections was significant too. True also that other processes misbehave but also strange that iCloud does not behave this way on our MacBook Pro. So the issue may have something to do with MicroSoft's implementation of sockets/TCP-IP.

Jan 12, 2016 4:29 PM in response to Brian of SummaeStudios

This is the oldest bug/leak in the book - an application opens a connection to a remote server and when the remote server closes, the application never bothers to complete the close (TCP/IP needs graceful closes). If the application terminates, then the operating system usually completes the close. But if like iCloud, it's hanging around, the connections hang around in the close-wait state. Shame on them! I use tcpview to manually close the connection but this gets old fast. And blaming Microsoft for this - really!

Anyone else having an issue with TCP connections using iCloud for Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.