Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix & Safari

I can't figure out a problem in not being able to stream Netflix in Safari v. 8.0.3, but I can stream it in Google Chrome. I don't understand why I would be able to see it one but not in the other. Can anybody solve this problem or shed some light on it?

(Also in Safari at one point I could hear the audio part of the stream, but still not see video. This might be helpful in finding the problem although it might be clouding the issue.)

but I can stream it in Google Chrome. I don't understand why I can see it one but not in the other. Can anybody solve this problem or shed some light on it?

(Also in Safari at one point I could hear the audio part of the stream, but still not see video. This might be helpful in finding the problem although it might be clouding the issue.)

A Netflix rep. said this was a problem in OS 10.10.1 and would be solved in the next OS, but it sounded like he had no idea and was just passing the buck.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.7 Ghz 16GB RAM

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2015 2:41 PM in response to curly1

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Feb 3, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Since you offered...

It seems that if I have two tabs open in Safari and one of them is set on a site I use all the time, SoundCloud (an audio/music site,) and the other is on Netflix then the stream doesn't work and I just get the audio portion again. But if I have only one tab it seems to work just fine. Can this be explained?

So yes your first suggestion works, but, apparently, not always.

Feb 4, 2015 6:27 AM in response to curly1

Further update:

I noted, this am, that it isn't SoundCloud at all. When Safari is open to one, and one only tab and site and only the first page is visible everything is ok, but if you go to a second page you hear the Netflix audio only.

Another question which might be related is whether Silverlight is really needed? I ask as I did have some issues with that program a while back and I'm not sure if they've been properly resolved.

Netflix & Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.