Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appletalk on a ?

Hello can anyone help?

Its an unravelling spaghetti problem:

I have several old Apples/Macs and am looking for a way to get 3 of them to share stuff with one another so as to get them all running right!

They are an LC475, a Powerbook 1400c/166 and a Powerbook Pismo.

The 1400 and the 475 both have Apple talk sockets and SCSI Ext Sockets - the G3 has neither.

The 1400 and the Pismo both have Ethernet sockets (in the PB 1400 via a Kingston Ethernet PC Card)

The 1400 and the 475 both have 1.44 floppy drives - the LC drive works fine - the 1400's drive does not

The 1400 and the G3 both have CD Drives - the G4s works the 1400s does not.

The G3 has USB the 1400 & LC475 do not

The internal drives of the G3 and the 1400 work fine. The int drive of the 475 is not reacting but does show its name size and driver.

So no one means of connection, including exchange of int drives, floppies or CDs is feasible.

I have lots of Appletalk cables and links. Two of my computers that work...partly....;-) have appletalk/serial sockets.

- if I can get the 475s scsi drive to run the whole picture changes. Is there any way of doing so?

I know I can link two of them to the same router (saving the need for a X-over cable) but what software would I use to get them to work together?

Appleshare?

Colin

PowerBook, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 8:00 AM

I'm able to offer some help on my http://www.macmaps.com/techsupport.html if you are interested*.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

14 replies

Feb 8, 2015 3:13 PM in response to ColinY

There may be some other ideas you've not tried among the topics here:

•Moving files from Classic Mac to Modern ones - Low End Mac:

http://lowendmac.com/2010/moving-files-from-classic-macs-to-modern-ones/

•Vintage Mac Networking & File Exchange - Low End Mac:

http://lowendmac.com/2007/vintage-mac-networking-and-file-exchange/

http://lowendmac.com/2014/appletalk-localtalk-and-phonenet/

You may need to acquire or use an intermediate device that can see both

the other products that won't communicate directly; to use vintage sharing

technologies of their era, if you don't have such items already. Adapters?

http://lowendmac.com/2007/apples-aaui-ethernet-connector/

And then, there are those manual and mechanical file transfer devices that

do not lend themselves to a networked situation, such as old media, floppy

and zip disk, and other drives that may not be accessible by adapter.

Most of this vintage hardware I had, was gotten rid of when I donated several

hundred Macs to thrift stores and charities, in working order with software.

Support for obsolete & vintage software/hardware is less likely, & may cost $.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Feb 9, 2015 8:45 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hello K...

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. This morning I installed a 4 GB Flash memory card in one of the computers PCMCIA sot and formatted it in standard Apple format as two 2 GB partitions... fearful that 2 GB is all the three Apple/Macs can accept....?

Anyway the G3 Pismo booted it and formatted and allowed me to download what I wanted, then I discovered my old USB linked Card reader can accept it too... sadly only the Pismo has USB.

I found the PB 1400 doesnt seem to like it but am trying again. The slot works ok as my www connection goes in there too.

The plan is to download it to the SCSI external disk on the PB and then to move that over to the LC 475 and hope to be able to boot it while/after/before downloading the contents of the non booting SCSI built in disk to the external. It might offer the perfect opportunity to reinstall as new on the built in disk - I'll have to think about the best order. On advice I have obtained a copy f Mount everything but to date while it has indeed mounted the built in disk it has not been able to make it boot at startup - SPOT ON did the same and couldnt do the same!!

I will download those links thanks and see if during a few days away... I can resolve what I should now do in what order.

Thanks again

Colin

Feb 9, 2015 2:22 PM in response to ColinY

Hi Colin,

>I found the PB 1400 doesnt seem to like it but am trying again. The slot works ok as my www connection goes in there too.

It may be a good idea to (re)partition and (re)format the card (I assume that it is CompactFlash) in the PowerBook 1400. You may also want to use only a single volume.

Once on the PB 1400, it should be possible to install a suitable operating system (or drag-copy a working system folder) onto the CF card to make it bootable.

If necessary, a utility such as Disk Copy (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1262) can be useful. It will allow disk images to be made from floppy disks or CDs (even self-mounting images). Disk images can be transferred to another computer and mounted there. It is possible to carry out installations from mounted images. Disk images are also perfect for backup purposes.

Jan

Feb 9, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello K...

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. This morning I installed a 4 GB Flash memory card in one of the computers PCMCIA sot and formatted it in standard Apple format as two 2 GB partitions... fearful that 2 GB is all the three Apple/Macs can accept....?

Anyway the G3 Pismo booted it and formatted and allowed me to download what I wanted, then I discovered my old USB linked Card reader can accept it too... sadly only the Pismo has USB.

I found the PB 1400 doesnt seem to like it but am trying again. The slot works ok as my www connection goes in there too.

The plan is to download it to the SCSI external disk on the PB and then to move that over to the LC 475 and hope to be able to boot it while/after/before downloading the contents of the non booting SCSI built in disk to the external. It might offer the perfect opportunity to reinstall as new on the built in disk - I'll have to think about the best order. On advice I have obtained a copy f Mount everything but to date while it has indeed mounted the built in disk it has not been able to make it boot at startup - SPOT ON did the same and couldnt do the same!!

I will download those links thanks and see if during a few days away... I can resolve what I should now do in what order.

Thanks again

Colin

Feb 9, 2015 2:45 PM in response to ColinY

Jan,

So... it begins....

I installed and formatted the CF card (4GB) into 2 2 GB partitions in Standard Mac Format (Im suire I read these macs cant see more than 2 GBs and that they wont like HFS format or w.h.y.

Well, I got it going on the Pismo and downloaded some of the bits you have drawn my attention to as wellas bits of Disk Utiulitys I have found (3 versions of Mt Everything and the Guide (?).

All went we'll, very fast! - 37 GB in 8 seconds!

I transferred the card and adaptor to the PB 1400 - almost straigfht away ut mnounted the SCIS ext disk and the CF card and showed the two partitions separately on the desk top!!! I downloaded to the PB the bits from the Pismo and cleared the contenst of the Ext SCSI except the OS 7.1 and Mt Everything CP.

No problemo!

Then I removed the Ext SCSI and moved it to the 475 - 3 cable connections later the icon of the ext SCSI appeared and the system booted from it (not from the Int SCSI! ? I have tried without success getting the Mt E CP to acrt as the booit disk - the ID is 0 and it appears iont he Mount everything disk but,it didnt want to do so, untril now and suddenly I giot it to appear on Desk top.

I have removed 38 MBs of data from the Int Disk and transferred it to the Ext (thats its capacity.) Its too late now to transgfer it back to the CF Card in the PB but I might switch the cabling over to do that in the AM...

So far, so good!? I just wish the Int would boot at startup!

Thanks for all your advice! Morgen ik gatt naar Nederlanden voor tien dagen vakantie! Weet je wel ;-)

Colin

Feb 27, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

HI Jan

Me again Im afraid.

You may have seen my latest posting and Im sorry to monopolise your expertise like this but I am stuck.

1. History - I have bought a working Performa 475 and removed the Disk to replace the old LC 475 Disk. It booted first time with 7.n

- the power supply in the LC 475 was working fine at this point but the Performa PS is now a spare in case....

- the 32 MB memory card works ok too now!

- the 4 GB flash memory works great: on the MBP + R/D with a USB 3 card reader, on the Pismo with the above or in the PCMCIA slot, on the Powerbook in the PCMCIA slot. No way to use it on the LC 475... yet!

- the 2 GB SCSI HDD that was in the LC475 is now back in its housing

So you might think all was well....

2. Latest - my Apple Multi Scan 15 Display (M2978 Serial Number CY4471EW3AD Manufd Nov 1994 in Korea ) was working fine on the LC475 and on the Performa. It also works with the adaptor off the PB 1400. However, after installing the new HDD in the 475 I thought I should run through the Cps and Extensions to see which I needed to change settings for and when I got to Monitors CP and I found an option for a larger number of colours and higher quality and (like a fool?) chose it. The screen went black right away and so far has resisted my efforts to reset it.

a. The Display works fine from the PB 1400 still! I can reset its settings but do they stay with the display when i close and detach the cable?

b. I have the Floppy Disk that came with the Display

c. I can't find the Display anywhere on the web - its not the same as the Apple Multi Scan 15 Display that comes up if you search - it doesn't have a reset button or a paperclip hole.

Because its gone black I can't tell what is happening when I put the floppy in so I can't select the CP or install the Original floppy that came with it.

What can I do? (sounding like 'Help me Obewan Kannobie...

Colin

Feb 28, 2015 12:42 AM in response to ColinY

Hi Colin,

In my reply to your post in the Older Displays & Monitors section, I suggested to try a PRAM reset to begin with, and a battery voltage check.

At least according to the information on the web page http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/models.txt, your monitor appears to be an early Multiple Scan 15 Display.

I do not know to what extent the manual http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA724/en_US/0308888AMS15UG.pdf is applicable here, but the advice on page 33 in fine about starting the computer without a monitor attached (in order to force a new monitor detection upon the next startup attempt) could also be tested under certain circumstances. A way of resetting the monitor (pressing the down and up buttons at the same time) is mentioned on page 26. Supported computers (such as the LC 475) do not need a video adapter, and can use software for resolution changes with this type of monitor (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA32326).

Jan

Feb 28, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello Jan

Thanks for that. I did get the Display working eventually and have this AM swapped over the Power supply from the Performa 475 that I bought on Wednesday. - the switch on it is more consistent than mine!

Resetting PRAM and booting from the floppy were key to getting in to the Moniotor settings and my old external scsi was happily able to boot.

Then I could update the Display software from the Floppy I fortunately found that I had that came with the screen!

I have also installed an Ethernet card in the 'PDS' slot - it is not one I have seen before. It has an RJ45 and a coax socket and the only text it carries says: EMacLCBT VER :B I cannot find any reference to it on a Google search but I hope to get it all going tomorrow morning.

The card has an empty space... for an upgrade processor (6882?)

Would you recommend replacing the LC processor in the 475 with a true 040 processor. They seem to be available at a reasonable price and by all reports not only speed up the machine but also provide floating point support and a cache?

Buying the Performa 475 has solved many of the problems - it was working when Isaw it and had a clean SCSI Disk with OS 7.6 freshly installed as well as everything else I could need. Its case is becoming emptier as days go by. The seller has a load of LCs and has become a new friend who is ready to help me get the 2 iMacs working again!

Just a bit more to do on the Powerbook 1400 and then I can move on! ;-) Your help has been key! Thanks

Colin

Mar 1, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks again Jan.

I have the 475 working today with the screen working right too... may be it sensed that I wasnt going to give it much more time ?

Farallon, ah! Thanks. Does this suggest I download their SW?

I accept totally your advice on the 040 and will do nothing. Ram doubler? Pseudo 040? Is it worth putting the 882 in the ethernet card spare slot? Any idea where I might find a spec for that card?There seem to be a lot of chips in it!

Colin

Mar 1, 2015 5:53 PM in response to ColinY

Hello again,

>Farallon, ah! Thanks. Does this suggest I download their SW?

Just guessing that the text was referring to that card. You may have to try a web search for driver software, if needed.

>Ram doubler?

RAM Doubler was a good (commercial) utility, as an alternative to real (and at the time, expensive) RAM.

>Pseudo 040?

Pseud040 was intended for 68020 and 68030 machines, and made it possible to use 68040 software.

http://archive.info-mac.org/_Configuration/00cfg-abstracts.txt

Did you mean SoftwareFPU?

>Is it worth putting the 882 in the ethernet card spare slot?

You will probably not note any substantial difference with an added (68882?) floating-point coprocessor (if that is what the empty space/socket is for).

>Any idea where I might find a spec for that card?

Sorry, no. Generally speaking, Internet archive snapshots can sometimes be of help when looking for information about old products.

Jan

Appletalk on a ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.