Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volumes not mounting

My (10.4.11) iMac is networked to two (10.6.8) laptops with Firewire cables. Problem: The iMac can "see" both Laptops but will only connect to Laptop 1. When you click "Connect" for Laptop 2, no volumes are found. It doesn't matter whether you use Laptop 2's IP address or Rendezvous address.

In the reverse direction, both laptops can connect to the iMac without difficulty.

I have tried all the usual workarounds - logging out, restarting, repairing preferences - to no avail.

Both laptops have the same setup for their Sharing Preferences.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 5:48 PM

Hi Roger,

If Laptop #1 isn't connected & you restart the iMac, does it then work on Laptop #2?

How about if you use #1's FW cable to #2?

How about if you add a duplicate 6 to 4 FW interface in System Preferences>Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations?

3 replies

Feb 11, 2015 3:52 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BD Aqua. Your suggestions guided me to a solution:

• First tried all 3 suggestions. None worked, but they started me thinking:

• Disconnected the Firewire cable, restarted Laptop 2, reconnected Firewire. Now logged in on Laptop 2 as Roger.

• Logged back in as Wife (the normal situation). Now iMac can see volumes on Laptop 2, after a short delay bar "authenticating Roger…". However, Laptop 2 can't connect to iMac! (There may have been another couple of steps that I have forgotten)

• Turned off Internet Sharing on the iMac. This improved things some more.

• Finally, what I suspect was the decisive step: In the iMac Network Port configuration list, moved "Internal Modem" from last to first, followed by Firewire. (This is as per kb article HT 2246 - iMac shares its dial up connection with both laptops.) Everything is rosy (and I have learned some more about the whole Apple Accounts/File sharing/Permissions set up!) Now I have complete 3-way file sharing and simultaneous Internet Sharing, the ideal situation. Hallelujah!

Postscript: The kb article referred to above is titled "Internet Connection & File Sharing" This is accurate, but that article does not really address "Internet Sharing & File Sharing", which requires, additionally, that the Gateway machine be nominated by the others as a router.

Many thanks for your inspirations!

Volumes not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.