Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware medic

Do I need adware Medic? Is it safe?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 1:38 PM

Only if you have adware on your Mac.

Yes, it is safe.

8 replies

Feb 19, 2015 6:57 AM in response to serra istanbul

To be technical, Linc is correct that you don't need to use an automated tool to remove adware, but:

1) Apple has their own manual removal instructions. Even though it's not that old, it is already grossly outdated. Adware has changed significantly since then with file names and the locations they get installed to changing practically be the week. I usually don't even link a user to that page anymore.

2) Which leads to manual instructions given by Linc, or at Thomas Reed's site (the author of AdwareMedic). Because of these constant changes, even though both try to keep up and provide the latest manual removal methods they can, these also fall out of date somewhat quickly.

3) Basically, it's up to the user. AdwareMedic does exactly the same thing as Thomas' manual instructions. It just does it much faster than you can manually dig through folder after folder. But if downloading an app to fix something caused by downloading an app bothers you, then follow the manual instructions.

Mar 5, 2015 6:21 PM in response to appleaddict190

After many frustrating hours with my Macbook air that had been infected with adware, I downloaded Adware Medic, followed the simple instructions and within minutes it had removed all adware and returned my laptop to me ........... many thanks to the developers, highly recommended .......... it is free, but I was so pleased that I made a donation

May 19, 2015 7:41 AM in response to appleaddict190

Anyone who's contemplating on downloading adwaremedic, don't contemplate. Just download. I have been using mplayerx to watch my videos ever since I got my macbook pro. But after upgrading to yosomite, mplayerx somehow couldn't play anymore. And when I checked on appstore, there wasn't any updates for it. So I went to download it from mplayerx.org thinking it was legit cos this is the site stated on appstore. BUT IT TURNS OUT, IT HAD MACKEEPER ALONG WITH IT. When I was installing it, it asked me to allow to install the player, so I clicked install. But before I know it, the screen showed "installing mackeeper" and there was nothing I could do to stop it. And then I was in ****. I heard from my friends that safari kept redirecting them to unknown sites even though they merely wanted to go to google. But I was using Chrome and it was doing that for me. But my computer started lagging, gmail started sending me warning emails saying that I was logging on from unknown device but I was using my macbook. Searched this discussion forum and saw Linc's comments on many forum topics helping them. But I'm an IT noob. No way I was going through all of that. I was so afraid that my macbook would die in my hands. Saw thomas(think that was his name) promoting his adwaremedic. Searched for reviews on it. Had plenty of good reviews. Downloaded it, and done. Problems gone. Had my friends download it too. Their problems were gone too.

Moral of story: Do not download mplayerx from places other than the appstore and DO download adwaremedic.

I was so happy with it that I created a account here just so that I can kudos to adwaremedic. Mehh. I know. It's just a few clicks and the account is made. BUT WHATEVERRRRRR.

Adware medic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.