You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy audio music playback after Itunes 12.1 update on Windows 8.1

Hardware

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz

RAM 12.0

64bit OS x64-based processor

GC: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Windows 8.1 Pro

iTunes 12.1.0.71

64bit

After updating iTunes to their latest and greatest update, that was on Jan 31, 2015, i have noticed a great deal of choppy/small amount of skipping/popcorn popping in the back ground of all the songs. (keep in mind i only use iTunes purely for music and nothing else)

I have tried the good old Google search but only seemed to run into old articles dating back to 2009, that didn't help at all.

I also noticed that only when using Google Chrome extensively, (many tabs open and surfing), is when it was at its worse, other then that if i just have iTunes running alone with nothing else happening the choppy popcorn distortion is minimized.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 2:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 2:35 PM

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" label appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems.

Some users have reported that after installing this alternative version it is necessary to adjust the "Play audio using:" selection in Edit > Preferences > Playback to restore glitch-free audio.

64 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2015 2:35 PM in response to satrn

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" label appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems.

Some users have reported that after installing this alternative version it is necessary to adjust the "Play audio using:" selection in Edit > Preferences > Playback to restore glitch-free audio.

Feb 3, 2015 9:58 PM in response to satrn

I'm also experiencing similar issues. I constantly hear skips/stutters in audio playback.

I adjusted bitrate and bps, no difference.

The alternate 12.1 doesn't have this issue, but doesn't perform as well..

I highly doubt its an "older graphics card" issue.

System:

Win 8.1 64bit

i7-4770

16gb ram

EVGA GeForece GTX 780ti SC

Feb 4, 2015 2:44 PM in response to kingwolfpup

That option seems to be unavailable for some installations of the full 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1, particularly on Windows 8.1. Based on evidence seen so far, the best way to restore correct audio playback within iTunes 12.1 on 64 bit Windows systems is to install the alternative version for 64-bit editions of Windows available here:

From what I've seen, this version restores the playback choices available in earlier releases and in the fully 32-bit version of 12.1 (as previously noted, the "for older video cards" installer is the 32-bit application within a 64-bit installation framework).

Feb 4, 2015 4:59 PM in response to alexanderfromsharon

I'd actually be interested to know how many people (if any!) have not had playback issues with the 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1. A totally unscientific sample of friends / family / work colleagues suggests that the problem is widespread, to the extent that I've yet to find anyone who hasn't either reverted to 12.0 or installed the "for older video cards" version of 12.1 to restore glitch-free playback.

Choppy audio music playback after Itunes 12.1 update on Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.