Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover Hard Drive from smashed iPhone 6 Plus?

I have a destroyed iPhone 6 plus. Is their any way to remove the hard drive or, should really say flash drive and put it in a working iPhone. I have a lot of info that might be lost forever. Is it possible anyone apple store or third party could do this? Thanks!

P.S. have tried plugging into computer, nothing 😟

iPhone 6 Plus, null

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 4:51 PM

You can't tell for sure without opening the case. The connector or cable could have been damaged, but not the motherboard.

There are data recovery services that can sometimes get data from an iPhone. They are not cheap, however. The problem is the contents are hardware encrypted, so unless the encryption key is intact that won't work either. Even Apple cannot get data out of a working iPhone if asked by law enforcement.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2015 4:51 PM in response to drummerben04

You can't tell for sure without opening the case. The connector or cable could have been damaged, but not the motherboard.

There are data recovery services that can sometimes get data from an iPhone. They are not cheap, however. The problem is the contents are hardware encrypted, so unless the encryption key is intact that won't work either. Even Apple cannot get data out of a working iPhone if asked by law enforcement.

Jul 24, 2017 6:03 AM in response to aisha.lanai

aisha.lanai wrote:

Hello! My iPhone got water damaged and my iCloud wasn't working so all my photos and really important information is lost forever.. can't they get the hard rive out or something because even my grandpa hads and its a bit silly if the Apple Store can't

There is no hard drive in an iPhone. It's all solid state memory, and it is encrypted. All of your information is lost forever if you didn't use any of the half dozen different ways that Apple provides for backing up all Apple products. You might try contacting Drive Savers (https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/?s=iphone), but I suspect they will tell you what I just posted. It's your best chance, but it will not be inexpensive.

Jul 24, 2017 6:18 AM in response to aisha.lanai

On an iPhone 5s or newer, removing the solid state storage will not help at all. The data on it is encrypted and the decryption does not merely require your passcode. It requires that you enter that passcode on the original functional device. The decrypt key is tied to your passcode and the device hardware so without the storage chips in the same device (same logic board, cpu, etc) and all functioning properly, there is nothing to recover on that storage but encrypted gibberish.

The iPhone and Apple’s secure enclave system have been deliberately designed to disallow what you wish to do - that is, remove the storage and access the data in a human readable form.

Jul 27, 2017 6:25 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

aisha.lanai wrote:

Hello! My iPhone got water damaged and my iCloud wasn't working so all my photos and really important information is lost forever.. can't they get the hard rive out or something because even my grandpa hads and its a bit silly if the Apple Store can't

There is no hard drive in an iPhone. It's all solid state memory, and it is encrypted. All of your information is lost forever if you didn't use any of the half dozen different ways that Apple provides for backing up all Apple products. You might try contacting Drive Savers (****), but I suspect they will tell you what I just posted. It's your best chance, but it will not be inexpensive.

Great suggestions, but, hopefully, the OP found a solution two years ago. It's always good to check the thread's date. And, some of your links' URLs are not what they should be.

Feb 3, 2015 4:46 PM in response to drummerben04

There is no hard drive in an iPhone. Just SSD memory, which is permanently affixed to the logic board. If the board isn't damaged an independent shop may be about to put it in a new enclosure. If you had important information on the phone presumably you backed it up regularly to either iCloud or to iTunes on your computer; ideally, you set up automatic daily backup as you were prompted to do when you first activated the phone. You can then restore the backup to a replacement phone.

Feb 3, 2015 4:48 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Does no response when plugging iPhone into computer mean the motherboard is not working? I presume if it was just the screen it would still load when plugging it in. Alas, I did not set up an iCloud or backed up the iPhone. Was selling it in a few weeks. Didn't realize how many important things I wrote in my notes and took video of over a period of 3 weeks.

Apr 3, 2015 3:54 AM in response to drummerben04

not sure if you got it fix yet but what you said and the look of your iphone you need a new whole screen assembly including the home button and to get your data back you need a working screen for sure to enter your passcode and backup your phone. I suggest trying going apple Genius Bar get a screen replacement if you got warranty or try a 3rd party that can put a screen so you can remove the passcode and backup it up For now

Recover Hard Drive from smashed iPhone 6 Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.