Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage 3 Hardware Synthesizer Midi patch change issue

I'm using MainStage 3 controlled by a Hardware synth to change patches on both MainStage and the Hardware Synth. I'm using both MainStage and Hardware Synth audio into an external mixer to use the best patches from both. I have synthesizer local off so the Hardware Synth has 16 buttons and sends Midi patch change messages to MainStage and MainStage translates these into the appropriate Hardware synth patch and sends the midi PC message back to Hardware Synth to change patches or just changes the MainStage patch accordingly. Configuring this way is cool since MainStage does not send the midi notes back to the Hardware synth so it's not playing when I only want to use the MainStage patch. Although I can control both with the hardware synth keyboard (i.e. midi local off).

I do it this way because most times the Midi PC message is just for MainStage to change patches and not send a Hardware Synth PC change, and in that case MainStage does not send the midi notes back to the hardware synth which is what I want.

The issue I'm having is that if for some reason I send the same midi patch change message from the hardware synth, that I sent previously; (i.e. right before) it seems that MainStage does not view this as a patch change so just reroutes the same PC message back to the Hardware Synth without translation and I get the actual Hardware synthesizer patch for that midi PC command which I do not want.

It would be better for MainStage to just process this as a new request and resend the translated Midi PC like it would do for an actual patch change.

Does anyone know of any MainStage configuration solutions to prevent this?

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 8:33 PM

1 reply

Feb 17, 2015 4:05 AM in response to cmacmusic

My setup is quite similar (a hardware synth combined with mainstage), so maybe this works for you as well. Instead of sending program changes i'm sending Midi CC 102 or Midi CC 103 from my hardware synth to Mainstage. 102 and 103 are just randomly picked unused midi CC messages. 102 is mapped to previous patch and 103 to next patch. (I'm using the Boss FS6 pedal to switch between patches). In the patches i'm using channel strips to send program changes to my hardware synth (if this is necessary).

Hope this will help you.

Mainstage 3 Hardware Synthesizer Midi patch change issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.