Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.3 drains fully charged battery in 2 hours

SInce updated to iOS 8.1.3, my iPhone 5C has been running abnormally hot, drains a full charge even in a 2 hour phone call with nothing else running. I tried all the tricks suggested by other forum including total wipe out reset as a new phone, the drain problem prevails, depleting battery charge at 1-2% per minute as long as the phone is on and no active app is running, background refresh turned off. Only turn off the screen slows it.

not sure why Apple doesn't test the software completely before releasing it. I skipped 8.1.2 and updated directly from 8.1.1. It was totally normal before the update. Now my iphone requires a recharge every 2 hours.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 10:36 PM

19 replies

Feb 4, 2015 12:14 AM in response to Tonywai

I too did notice a significant battery drain from my habitual light use of my iPhone 6 immediately after the 8.1.3 update. I leave in the morning at 100% and used to still have more or less 70% left in the evening but now it goes all the way down to 20% by evening.

And the heating issue is scary, 10 minutes on a light app and it heats up. Left it charging and it gets REALLY hot!

Might revert to 8.1.2 if this persist.

Feb 17, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Tonywai

If you don't have a strong signal, that can also cause the battery to deplete quickly and get warmer. If you are seeing both, that is the first place I would look. I had a signal strength problem even though I can see a cell tower from my front yard. I needed a signal booster because the strength of the signal was weak enough that my phone would regularly drop calls.

Other things that can draw the battery down quickly include anything that uses location.

If you reset your phone, make sure you don't just restore everything that was on the phone right away. You may not be getting rid of the problem which could be hiding in an app somewhere.

Feb 25, 2015 4:29 PM in response to OldGnome

I also have an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1.3 that is draining quickly. I have been to the Apple Store twice with the problem, they couldn't find anything wrong. My battery will completely die in 6 hours of standby (no usage whatsoever). I have tried erasing my phone without logging back into iCloud and even using it in airplane mode with location services turned off. Still had a battery issue. My phone also is taking 6+ hours to fully charge and I am using the OEM Apple wall plug and cord.

Feb 27, 2015 9:15 PM in response to OldGnome

Yeah, the Apple Store folks also think it's the signal strength. The fact is, I've been using the phone in the same location with the same signal strength for over 1 year, and the draining just happens recently after I upgraded to 8.1.3.

Anyways, I've reset the system (as new iPhone), just reinstall apps from App Store without restoring from back up, and the problem went away. Clearly it's not a signal strength issue. Now the problem is all my records and messages stored on the phone are gone, since I cannot restore from backup. Apple doesn't seem to care, since you can only get the photos and songs from iPhoto and iTune, but nothing else if you can't restore from backup.

Mar 11, 2015 12:48 PM in response to MrFixer1

MrFixer1 - if resetting your phone leaves you in worse condition than before, you should make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have your phone diagnosed. It is likely beyond the capabilities of a peer-to-peer forum to diagnose and fix your phone.

Also, if you are using iOS 8.3, that's in beta and not general release. You should report problems with that version through the appropriate channel.

Mar 11, 2015 1:05 PM in response to MrFixer1

8.3 Is still in Beta. 8.2 was just released. If the battery is dying too fast, first try restoring the device with this:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Then set up as new or restore from an iCloud back up (Not iTUNES!)

iTunes can back up the issues that are creating the problem and is the reason we don't restore from an iTunes back up when there are software issues.

If that doesn't work, call AppleCare and have diagnostic ran on the battery.

iOS 8.1.3 drains fully charged battery in 2 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.