Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini with HP Pavilion 27 inch monitor, looks blurry?

Hi,

I just bought 2014 late mac mini. Which is awesome!

I'm already using HP Pavilion 27xi monitor, connected by using HDMI cable. But display screen is not clear and font looks blurry.

I've already tried custom resolution apps(SwitchResX). But that's also not working here.

Can you please anyone advice?

Note : I've also tried Mini Display Port to VGA type. That is not working. Only HDMI cable get screen.

Thanks,

Ansif

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2014

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 6:24 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2015 7:54 AM in response to cyberspacecreator

Did you use an Apple mini displayport to VGA adopter? I purchased two non-name ones and they did not work

Is the resolution of the monitor 1920x1200 or less?

Are you using the native resolution of the monitor?

Have you tried using the Overscanning slider?

Does the monitor have any setting like sharpness? Have you tried adjusting all available settings available on the monitor?

Feb 4, 2015 8:59 PM in response to lllaass

Yes, i used non-brand Mini Displayport to VGA adapter. It’s not working in mac mini, but i’ve worked this monitor as a secondary using that port in mac that’s really working fine,

My resolution is :

1920x1080

I’m using Yosemite 10.10 it’s not have any Overscanning slider. Instead of Underscan, Current i’ve slided more to fit screen for under scan to get full screen view. But that is a main problem. If i slide that then fonts and screen quality missing. If i set that to Off then screen quality looks amazing.

Yes, my monitor have sharpness. If i increase fonts get too sharp and that’s not looking good. I’ve tried everything in this monitor settings.

I’ve also contact HP monitor support centre. They recommend to ask apple support. Because, only this issue in this mac mini.

Thanks,

Ansif

Feb 5, 2015 1:43 AM in response to cyberspacecreator

If you purchased the Mac less than 90 days ago you still have free telephone support. Otherwise Apple will charge your for support.

Complimentary Support (USA)

The monitor also has a DVI input.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/accessories-88342--1/27x i-c4d27aa-aba?jumpid=re_r11662_redirect_ETR&ts=20150205094117_9***9IvQGsCx&HP-Pa vilion-27xi-27-inch-Diagonal-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor

I would try a mini displayport to DVI adopter

Feb 7, 2015 12:16 AM in response to lllaass

Hi Illaass:

i have a similar issue:

1) unable to raise resolution to 2560 X 1440 at 60 Hz because 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz is the highest available for selection. (System Preference>Display > Resolution > Scaled > 1920 X 1080 selected)

2) for my IT environment: see below

3) for trouble shooting results: see below

4) for suggested strategies to resolve issue please comment on the following:

• a) if the monitor connection (see 11 below) is changed to say "DVI-D dual link with Apple dvi adapter to thunderbolt port on Mac mini" AND if such a adapter is available, will the higher 2560 X 1440 at 60 Hz be available
  • b) does Apple offer a updated Display driver (see 5 below) that will provide the higher 2560 X 1440 at 60 Hz resolution
  • c) If apple's 30" cinema display resolution works at 2560 X 1440 at 60 Hz, can my Mac mini use that driver?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My IT environment

1) System Type = Mac mini 6.2 (late 2012)

2) Operating System = OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) with Parallels 8 (8.0.18619) Windows 7/32 (Professional, Service Pack 1)

4) Display Adapter = Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB graphics

5) Display (Driver) Date = (Mac mini 6.2) late 2012

6) Monitor Manufacturer = HP z27i

7) screen resolution (current) = 192X 1080 at 60 Hz

11) monitor connection = DVI-D dual link with Apple dvi adapter to HDMI port on Mac mini

12) Monitor Manufacturer Model = HP z27i D7P92A4 27-inch IPS LED

13) no. of monitors = one

~~~~~~~~~~~

trouble shooting results

1) unable to complete www.portrait.com Request for Technical Support because unable to find Portrait Display software version DT HP version information

2) inserted Documentation CD (that came with the monitor display box) but the display assistant did not launch

3) started to open Display Assistant using Parallels 8 Windows 7/32 but did not attempt to adjust resolution Advanced Mode

Feb 7, 2015 1:25 AM in response to shidecai

An HDMI connection with your Mac only gets you 1920X1200 max irregardless if you use the direct HDMI or a connection on the the Thunderbolt port.

Your monitor

http://www.hp.com/united-states/workstations/pdf/z27i_ds.pdf

has

DisplayPort 1.2 (1.1 compatible), DVI-D, HDMI 1.4, VGA (HDCP support on DVI-D, DisplayPort and HDMI)

- Have you tried using the dual-link adopter connected to the DVI input to the monitor? You have to plug the dual-link adopter to a USB port for power.

- What will work is a mini displayport to display port cable. The mini displayport plugs into the Thunderbolt port on the MIni

May 14, 2015 3:39 PM in response to cyberspacecreator

I just purchased this monitor, and the issue is a default-setting with the monitor; your Mac is fine.

To fix:

On the Mac: System Preferences<Dispalys< Under the Display tab set the Underscan-slide to OFF!!!!! (This ensures it is in the default position)

On your Monitor: Image Control<Custom Scaling< Overscan---- OFF!!!

The issue is that Overscan is the default setting!!!

Mac Mini with HP Pavilion 27 inch monitor, looks blurry?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.