Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best music recording software?

I have been using Wiretap Studio to record my Sibelius compositions for years. It stopped working the other day. I wrote the developers, who said it's no longer compatlble, and they have no plans to upgrade. So, I'm looking for a good music recording program that doesn't cost a fortune. "Lossless" is good (no reduction in quality). An equalizer would be nice, too. Got to have it by next week, because I sing to my own stuff and got some programs coming up, I have tried Garageband, and find it hard to understand. Probably my fault, not GB's. Need something simple, preferably with an interface like a hand-held recorder. Don't need lots of bells & whistles. Using MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.2. Thanks.

Tom in Texas

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 8:58 AM

30 replies

Feb 4, 2015 9:30 AM in response to TominTexas

Besides the Apple Apps 'Garage Band', [EDITadded 'Logic Express' endEDIT] and 'LogicPro X'

Although there is no 'Official' support for Yosemite, you may wish to have a look at Audacity 2.0.6 - sourceforge.net - apparently there a few 'features' that don't work, but these are advanced in nature ( YOSEMITE - http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=81714 )

IF you download any freeware, be sure that you do so from a reputable website - SourceForge is Very Relaible

ÇÇÇ

Feb 4, 2015 9:56 AM in response to TominTexas

TominTexas wrote:

SNIP... By the way, what mother would name her child Chitlins? Sorry... I see humor, even where there is none. .... Appreciate it!

Tom in Texas

De nada, amigo

"ChitlinsCC" is shortened from "Chitlins Con Carne" - a jazz guitar instrumental originally recorded by 50's virtuoso Kenny Burrell and covered by my home boy SRV, which is where I first heard and loved it - VERY UN-Stevie-like.

ÇÇÇ

Feb 4, 2015 10:52 AM in response to TominTexas

You need new optics 😎 ... named after a Song(instrumental) [reread]

- but definitely a Tex-Mex dish

⬇ click to enlarge ⬇

User uploaded file

Regarding Sound Studio = no experience - but it appears to be full featured, inexpensive and very simple interface

The only thing I would object to is ⬇ in red box 👿

User uploaded file

Big D. Whereabouts are you?

There was a time where I thought so (Ann Richards era - the DePublicans here scare me)

- as long as we could get the rest back

⬇ click to enlarge ⬇

User uploaded file

ÇÇÇ

Feb 4, 2015 1:30 PM in response to TominTexas

Ok...I'm a bit apprehensive about Audacity, after reading reviews about it crashing, and them not making any claims re. compatibility with Yosemite. Right now I'm leaning toward Sound Studio for $29. Does anyone know about Avid Pro Tools at $199? I use Sibelius, which is also by Avid. Really a Cadillac of a music composition program. Is Pro Tools worth the extra $170? Is the sound quality better? Know those are subjective questions that requires relative answers. Opinions are enough. Educated ones are better.

Tom in Texas

Feb 4, 2015 1:40 PM in response to TominTexas

You might want to ask that question in the Pro Audio forums as that is where the audio guys hang out; although it is for Logic Pro, but they would be more knowledgeable about any type of recording software than in this forum.

Edit - I found an "Other Pro Audio Forum":

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/other_pro_audi o

That might be your best bet.

What is the best music recording software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.