Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Make a Screen-Recording with Quicktime - "Cannot Record" "Try Recording Again."

I attempted to record my screen earlier today, and it appeared to work somewhat fine... except not really. I got the beachball of death for a few seconds after selecting my recording region and pressing "start recording", and then it appeared to be recording. When I was done, I go to stop the recording via the button in the menu bar (btw I'm on Mavericks atm, can't upgrade to Yosemite) and the button is darkened out and doesn't work. I go to stop the recording via the Quicktime icon in the dock. I press "Stop Screen Recording", and the Quicktime window comes up and says "Cannot Record. Try recording again." What should I do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 7:49 AM

6 replies

Jun 8, 2017 12:08 AM in response to Bennie-O

In my case, it was that I'm using an external audio device (Resident Audio RA4, which works great for recording music via Studio One 3/4 Pro). No matter how I tried to configure the inputs from it, same error. So I went to preferences (just to the right of the red button) and changed the sound input to the internal mic. Problem gone. Sadly, the sound quality is crap that way, so I'm just gonna stick with the Zoom Q4 for everything BUT live Skype, etc.

Jun 12, 2017 4:52 PM in response to Bennie-O

I was having the same problem. It recorded using the Macbook Air built-in microphone, but not from the microphone on the Logitech C615. But I just tried a Yeti Blue, and it worked. Sometimes, if you have two USB slots, things work fine on one of them but not on the other. I don't know the reason why, but that's the way it is. So, bottom line, try either a different microphone or the other USB.

Cannot Make a Screen-Recording with Quicktime - "Cannot Record" "Try Recording Again."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.