Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

burning disks on iMac without a disk drive

Just bought a brand new iMac and discovered there is no disk drive! How am I going to create and burn multiple DVDs which I do annually and mail them off to family and friends? Is there an external DVD drive that will work well with iDVD and iMovie? Thanks! Dave

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 9:16 AM

Buy this, works great.

I use it with iMovie 06 and iDVD 09. Using Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRSFW8U3/

11 replies

Feb 4, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks!

I am a bit un-nerved at this point because the sales person at Apple didn't tell me I would need an external DVD drive. Is there any advantage in having a firewire connection as I see some of the drives come with? I would stay with an Apple product if I can be assured that iDVD will recognize it externally for my annual DVD creations. I make them in iMovie and then import them into iDVD to save and burn them to disk.

Thanks again!

Dave

Feb 4, 2015 3:55 PM in response to zardozz

I recommend you get a 3rd party optical drive with drawer loading. The slot loading drives like the Apple drive are hard to clear if there's a stuck disk. Also the Apple drive only supports USB 2. The drive that Ziatron recommended supports USB 3. That's the same one I got to use with FW/Thunderbolt because my iMac doesn't have USB 3 and I needed faster read performance.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2015 6:59 AM in response to zardozz

Firewire is an older interface. It has been phased out of the majority of Apple products, and as such you would need an extra adapter to go from Thunderbolt port to Firewire, or USB to Firewire. Its better to just go USB from the get go.

USB 2 more than covers optical drive read / write speeds.

Its optical, because it uses a type of laser "eye" or lense (optic) to read and write discs. Instead of magnetic interface of other disk drives. It is in fact quite different to your standard hard drive, mechanical or ssd.

Tray loaded external optical drives, tend to be much bulkier than slot loaders.

Yes it easier to get a stuck disk out of a tray loader.

burning disks on iMac without a disk drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.