Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Phishing Website Ahead Alert

My safari has a popup that says 404 system error call 18778991824 immediately for help and the safari page itself says phishing website ahead call that number for immediate help. Safari does not work at all now! Do I call the number or is it a scam? I need this fixed but not sure how to go about it!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 12:50 PM

Do not cal the number.

Force quit Safari, then restart Safari while holding the Shift key.

19 replies

Mar 8, 2015 2:06 PM in response to stedman1

I have also received this message and now I cannot get into my main administrator User on my MacBook Pro. Could these be related? Of so, do you know what I can try to fix it? The User will not respond to my password, but 2 other users (one of which is another admin) thankfully still opens. Unfortunately the one that will not open is the one with all the important data. I can't seem to reset to any previous backups on time machine through the secondary admin. The message with the phone number has popped up in my other admin user... should I expect for it too to fail soon? Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Mar 18, 2015 12:05 PM in response to AAnnD

I have just experienced this. I called they said they are safari support 877-899-1824. They said someone has hijacked my network. They had me download sleipner browser and go to www.support.me and let them login to my computer. Then he showed me that my firewall was turned off. He said I had to pay for a firewall. He wanted to reroute me to Cisco for $499 to get firewall and support. He then asked for my name / address / etc. This is when I freaked out!! So I hung up and went into my System Preferences then security and turned my firewall back on and the vault back on. Then I went into the window tab and said show previous window and it let me finally get out of that phishing pop up. I think they are tricking people into buying firewall subscriptions. They get access to your computer and then somehow turn off your firewall and tell you that you need to pay to turn it on. When in fact you can just go in and turn it on. Make sure to delete the browser and support things they had you download!!! Scary, I am going to let Cisco know this is going on and I wonder if Apple is aware that these people are locking up the Safari browser with their message?

Mar 27, 2015 8:49 PM in response to AAnnD

My wife just encountered this incident at tonight when she was searching for some elementary school project info. She got the Safari screen locked and then she followed it to dial the 1-877-899-1824. I came upstairs immediately to interrupt her call when I heard it. Hope they will not be able to hack my computer as the conversation was just began(They asked what the website was, how many users are in this computer, ...etc). Force quit on MAC "Activity Monitor" did not work for us, I restarted the computer and use "Shift" + Safari and it worked!

Apr 3, 2015 7:18 AM in response to polarbreeze1

Disconnect from the Internet completely. Open Safari. Reconnect to the Internet.

If that doesn't work, disconnect from the Internet, Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Reopen Safari, connect to the Internet and test.

Apr 3, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, very helpful, but not quite the solution. I'd tried taking all those steps but the problem persisted - because even when rebooting disconnected from the internet, the phishing page kept coming up, preventing access to preferences and also to the developer menu. It was presumably coming from the cache but there was no way to delete the cache because with Safari frozen I couldn't access that function. I did just now find the solution though, which was to manually trash the cache through Finder - very simple once you know what needs to be done. I hope this extra detail will help others. Thanks for your help.

Safari Phishing Website Ahead Alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.