Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message forwarding in iMessage

I am trying to set up the message forwarding feature on my phone so that I can send and receive messages on my Mac and iPad but iMessage is not returning the required code to allow this feature to be functional. Please advise.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 2:40 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2015 12:46 PM in response to jkerr1

Hello jkerr1,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

If your iPad or Mac are not displaying the code needed to set up Message Forwarding, first check these requirements and settings:

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Feb 17, 2015 4:44 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thank you for your reply Jeremy. However, when I went to the iMessage area in Settings, where it says "You can be reached by iMessage at..." it only listed my me.com and iCloud email addresses. The selection for my phone number was gray and inactive. Any further help you can provide with this will be much appreciated. I don't understand what happened. I had it all set up and then one day somehow I got logged off or something and the feature no longer worked.

Thank you.

Message forwarding in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.