Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried installing windows 8 via bootcamp, and now my mac will not boot. What can I do?

I tried installing windows 8 today on my macbook air, and during the process i made a new partition on my main harddisk. after reboot it said that no boots were available. I ran the recovery module, and repaired the disk, and everything is alright, I can even see my files, users and everything else but it will not boot. Unfortunately I haven't made any time machine backup, but I got three important files on it.

Is there any way to save it, or do I need to reinstall macos?

Regards Allstaren

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 2:22 PM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2015 12:39 PM in response to allstaren

Hey allstaren,

To make sure we are on the same page, you are trying to install Windows and are using Boot Camp to set it up. It seems that you got as far as the partition part and now have restarted and is getting a No Boot Disk Attached or something similar. If that is the case, then it is trying to boot to the Boot Camp partition. To get out of that, try booting up your MacBook Air while holding the option key on your keyboard, this will bring up the Startup Manager. Then select your Mac partition and it should boot up just fine. What you may have to do after that is start the process over. If you are trying to install Windows with a USB drive, make sure that it is a USB2 drive as that will be the best way to get it installed. Take a look at the articles below for more information to get you started.

How to choose a startup disk on your Mac

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1310

Boot Camp: Solve hardware problems

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17853

Take care,

-Norm G.

Tried installing windows 8 via bootcamp, and now my mac will not boot. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.