Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks won't open

Since a little before upgrading to Yosemite, I have been unable to open my iBooks app on my MacBook Pro. It will either open to the spinning beach ball forever until I force it to quit, or it opens then shuts down as soon as I try to tap a book to read.

Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions? I have run the Disk Utility for Permissions errors and the entire check but it continues to be a problem.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 4:25 PM

14 replies

Mar 17, 2017 11:58 AM in response to MSWOZ

I had to use all the step before iBook would run after my recent upgrade to Sierra. Unfortunately, the com.apple.BKAgentService file moved to the Desktop apparently lost all the data. Also, my other iOS devices that have all the files and other books don't synchronize through iCloud so my only solution seems to be to manually send myself a copy of each of the many, many PDF's and then manually bring them into iBooks on my MacBook even though I have it set to use iCloud in System Preferences. If you know of a better way, then I am all ears or eyes as the case may be. Thanks in advance for some assistance.

Rich

Feb 4, 2015 5:31 PM in response to MSWOZ

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data.

Quit iBooks if it's running. Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Stop when the problem is resolved. Quit iBooks again before going on to the next step.

Step 1

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following item, if it exists, to the Trash:

Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

Step 2

Delete this item in the same way:

Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

Step 3

Delete this item:

Containers/com.apple.iBooksX

and move this one to the Desktop:

Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService

Log out and log back in. The book library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

Dec 4, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

None of this worked for me. I even rebooted.

In fact, of the files you say to delete, only ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iBooksX gets recreated upon initial launch of iBooks. I have no cookies, no preferences file, nor the com.apple.BKAgentService in Containers/.

I am running on an Xserve with the latest version of Server installed. The logged in user is an Open Directory user. The bit about “Make sure the disk containing your library is connected” in my mind points to a bug that has the OS fail to lead the app to the proper location of the files in ~/Library/.

Aug 17, 2016 7:19 AM in response to JeeHoo

Add me to the list of folks with the problem: network user logging into the server, user directory is on the server but not the standard user directory location, and iBooks continues to produce the "Library Location: (null)" dialog box after following the steps above. The only change in behavior was after Step 3 - prior to executing Step 3, the "Reset Library" button in the dialog box would merely return to the same dialog box - after executing Step 3, the "Reset Library" button in the dialog box causes iBooks to terminate. Upon restarting iBooks, the same dialog box is presented with the same behavior for the "Reset Library" button when pressed (iBooks terminates). I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6, with the co-requisite version of OS X Server. iBooks being broken is causing my iDevice sync to fail apparently, because I have "purchases" on my iDevice that can't be synced to the Mac.

iBooks won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.