Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 - old style Get Info using not working

I've become accustomed to using iTunes 12, but because I have for a number of years utilised most of the fields available in the older version Get Info screens (not available by default in iTunes 12) in order to create and manage smart playlists, I have been relying on retaining that access by using <Shift-Click> to bring them up. Alarmingly today I've attempted to access the old style Get Info screens only to discover that the <Shift-Click> option is seemingly not working!

As I hadn't heard of a change to this feature, nor can I find anything on the net about it, I am just wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and if so, does anyone know of a workaround? I keep my versions of iTunes up to date and recently downloaded the latest version (to 12.1.0.71), so perhaps a change was included in that update?

Without easy access to those fields I may as well give up iTunes and go fly a kite, so any advice will be gratefully received!

Cheers.

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 4:48 PM

Access to the "old style" metadata editors has been dropped from iTunes 12.1 - I suspect that it was left in 12.0, with the shift right-click option, only because the new style editors were somewhat unstable/unfinished. In most cases all the fields that were available pre iTunes 12 are available in 12.1. Admittedly, the layout is a little counter-intuitive as you may have to scroll up/down, or expand the window by dragging one of its corners, to see everything. One issue that some have noted is that the available metadata elements are now more constrained based on media kind - for example, track and disc number fields that used to be universally available are no longer displayed or editable for TV Shows and Movies. There are also some strange inconsistencies - for example, that the Description element for audiobooks is only available for single items but not for groupings of two or more items, including albums.

For Music it looks like 12.1 has all the same fields available as were in iTunes 11. For a single song you get this (Details and Sorting tab):

User uploaded file

and for an album (or any selection of two or more songs) the corresponding tabs are:

User uploaded file

Depending on the fields you use for your smart playlists you may find that the editors in iTunes 12.1 will work fine, though it may take a while to get used to the new layout. If there still is a "back door" to the old style editors in 12.1 I've not seen any reports of what it is!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2015 4:48 PM in response to Badgerdarkness

Access to the "old style" metadata editors has been dropped from iTunes 12.1 - I suspect that it was left in 12.0, with the shift right-click option, only because the new style editors were somewhat unstable/unfinished. In most cases all the fields that were available pre iTunes 12 are available in 12.1. Admittedly, the layout is a little counter-intuitive as you may have to scroll up/down, or expand the window by dragging one of its corners, to see everything. One issue that some have noted is that the available metadata elements are now more constrained based on media kind - for example, track and disc number fields that used to be universally available are no longer displayed or editable for TV Shows and Movies. There are also some strange inconsistencies - for example, that the Description element for audiobooks is only available for single items but not for groupings of two or more items, including albums.

For Music it looks like 12.1 has all the same fields available as were in iTunes 11. For a single song you get this (Details and Sorting tab):

User uploaded file

and for an album (or any selection of two or more songs) the corresponding tabs are:

User uploaded file

Depending on the fields you use for your smart playlists you may find that the editors in iTunes 12.1 will work fine, though it may take a while to get used to the new layout. If there still is a "back door" to the old style editors in 12.1 I've not seen any reports of what it is!

Feb 4, 2015 4:56 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks very much for your very clear advice, hhgttg27! At least I now know what I'm dealing with. I certainly had been using fields that were not intended for music media data (such as Episode ID, Show, etc), to enable my smart playlists to be as powerful as possible.

I've noticed that I can still access these fields by displaying them as columns when my library is listed in Songs mode, and that the information previously added by me is also still displayed. So all is not lost, and as you say I just need to become comfortable using the new layout. And, thankfully, my smart playlists are unaffected.

Cheers!

Mar 28, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Badgerdarkness

This feature - or lack thereof - has been driving me a little nuts. I was absolutely positive that I had found the ability to use the classic menu for the "get info" feature by using the "shift-click" combination as well. However, like you, at some point it was no longer working for me and I was unsuccessful in my search for information on the Web. I thought I had merely forgotten the "key combination". So it is with considerable disappointment that it seems the feature is no longer available in the 12.1 update! :-(

Had I not stumbled across your post - I would have had no way of knowing - so thanks for posting your question.

Mitch

May 17, 2015 12:42 PM in response to hhgttg27

OK, I still cannot get to two fields: "Year" and "Grouping" to add them to a new song (or audiobook in my case). I can show the columns in list view and can edit the values of old records, but cannot enter new data for my new records. I use the year field for the year the book was written (i.e. The Count of Monte Cristo was written in 1844 which is important, but I do not care that the Audiobook has a "Release Date" of 2008). The Grouping field is used to categorize my audiobooks (i.e. Classics, Tarzan Adventures, NUMA Files, etc.).

Since I have several thousand entries in my iTunes library, I am not really interested in going through and changing my data to the fields that Apple in all their wisdom (or stupidity) have decided that I should use.

Does anybody have any ideas how to access the fields that are still in the database when adding new entries to my iTunes Library?

iTunes 12 - old style Get Info using not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.