Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation bug?

So the other day I installed the update for my iPhone 5. It was the update to reduce the amount of memory needed to install updates (8.1.3?).

I use the dictation function alllllllll the time. So I immediately noticed upon the installation of the update that dictation was not working like before the update, because I used dictation regularly that day leading up to the installation of the update, and immediately thereafter. Some dictations are perfectly fine, there are no problems, while other dictations are like watching a 6 year old learn how to type. Basically, its so terrible that I often can't use it because its faster to type, and you know how slow dictation has to be when typing with thumbs ends up being faster than dictation.

I will answer the obvious questions before anyone asks:

• Did I restart my phone after the update? Yes.
  • Is it related to a particular app? No, it does it on all apps.
  • Is it my internet connection on Wifi or maybe your carrier? Neither, as it does it on multiple Wifi connections in addition to my carrier.
  • Do I have bandwidth limit on my service? No, I have unlimited data, and even if my carrier started throttling me, its the beginning of the month and doesn't explain why dictation has same problem on Wifi.

So I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems, if this is a bug, or if I inadvertently ****** off lady luck.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 9:16 PM

Since Siri requires an Internet connection to the Apple Siri server it is possible that there could be times when the Siri server is overloaded or the Internet path to Siri is clogged and slow. Either or both of these conditions would result in Siri's dictation becoming slow.

i haven't seen your slow dictation problem on iOS 8.1.3 (and I just retested) but I expect that you use Siri dictation a lot more often than I do.

You can check on the status of Apple services (including Siri) here:

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2015 9:16 PM in response to Pataphysicist

Since Siri requires an Internet connection to the Apple Siri server it is possible that there could be times when the Siri server is overloaded or the Internet path to Siri is clogged and slow. Either or both of these conditions would result in Siri's dictation becoming slow.

i haven't seen your slow dictation problem on iOS 8.1.3 (and I just retested) but I expect that you use Siri dictation a lot more often than I do.

You can check on the status of Apple services (including Siri) here:

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Dictation bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.