Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disconnecting Thunderbolt Drive Causes Kernel Panic

I recently started working with a Thunderbolt G-Drive via USB 3.0 and had zero issues. But when I switched to a Thunderbolt cable, OS X has been crashing whenever I eject and subsequently power down the drive. I don't know if it's helpful to note that I have an old G-RAID that uses a FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter and I've had zero issues with that configuration.

Again, after I've eject and then power down the Thunderbolt-connected G-Drive, OS X kernel panics.

I'm not sure what details are relevant, so here's what I'm working on:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 11:42 PM

It's a known issue that has been reported many times. The only workaround I know of is to connect the drive via USB rather than TB.

4 replies

Feb 26, 2015 11:28 AM in response to i use AVID, not FCP

OK, ejecting the TBolt drive, and then disconnecting the TBolt cable before power or OFF switch does not produce the problem for me. My practice has always been to remove power before disconnecting to prevent accidental re-recognition. Bad now, it seems.

I think the problem may be some sort of lost power signal when the TBolt cable is still connected. This might differ from drive to drive, and may only be Y that pays attention to it. I have produced the problem where there is a switch, as if usually the case with LaCie, and also with a drive where I had only the power cord to use.

Ernie

Disconnecting Thunderbolt Drive Causes Kernel Panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.