Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook boots twice every time it starts

I have the latest Macbook 13' bought in 2013. I noticed that recently every time I start or restart my Mac, it boots twice. I would be prompted to enter the password after the launch sound and then after I enter my password, a bar appears and when it loads to full, my Mac would restart and repeat the process, asking me to enter my password again. This time without the launch sound.

Is this normal?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 9:13 PM

10 replies

Sep 7, 2015 10:48 PM in response to cinamann

I had the same problem. I would face this every time on cold start, but not on sleep wake. and I would hear the chime twice as well. In any case, the problem is caused as a result of a combination of few things and how they work namely - admin user profile management, file vault encryption and yosemite updates.

I found this article.. and it gives you two ways to solve this problem, and its spot on!

http://www.macissues.com/2015/03/31/fix-double-login-prompts-on-your-mac/

Yosemite shows your username up top, next to the clock. If you upgraded to yosemite and did not reset your user permissions in some way, this normally might not be visible. For me, after I was done with the above procedure, it solved that and the overlapping clock text problem as well! Once you see this, its a sign that things have worked..

Hope this helps! 🙂

Nov 30, 2017 2:03 PM in response to Zak Totkoff

Thanks! After the first login, the screen goes black except for a little box around the progress bar.... and that looks a little hokey. Would be nice if the Mac OS folks had made some effort to communicate what the computer was doing (being more secure) rather than it just being left to look like it was doing a login procedure twice for no good reason. :-)

Macbook boots twice every time it starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.