Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Whats App web' email virus trojan sends to all Gmail address book

My wife received an email on her iPhone 5, which is set up to work with her Gmail Account from a friend. It appeared to be a message from Whats App (it wasn't) and said 'You Have New Messages' and had a clickable '>Play' link.

This then directed to a sales website but more annoyingly ran some kind of program via Mail on the iPhone and accessed all her Gmail contacts and sent itself to them (over 600) with random subject headers.

As soon as I found out I changed the password on Gmail and it seems to be OK, although Gmail bounced one of MY Gmail emails sent last night due to it coming from an IP Address associated with Spam!

Very annoyed and wonder how a simple click link can do so much - is the Gmail contact list accessable withourt the user's password?

Also I thought the iPhone ecosystem was pretty closed off to this kind of thing...

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 5:57 AM

9 replies

Feb 18, 2015 8:14 AM in response to Paul Reddington

Hi. I had this too and I clicked on my iPhone before I had thought it through. Easy mistake. My query is that my gmail account through which I got the phishing request has a 2-step security process requiring me to enter a 6 digit code before I can get into my own gmails. Different each time and I know, a bit of a pain. However, I'm thinking that this additional security bind might actually have saved me? Am I right? I'll change my password anyway but I'm wondering if this 2-step security thing with Gmail is a good thing after all. Please could somebody advise..

May 5, 2015 2:23 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi all,

I have had the same problem. I didn't realise it at first and so continued sending emails as normal; but i think a maximum quota must have been reached because at some point it simply stopped allowing my to send anything. I have changed my password but I still cannot send emails from my Mail on my macbook, and the emails in the Outbox are still there. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks so much!

Lucy

'Whats App web' email virus trojan sends to all Gmail address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.