Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nothing happens when pressing Command+R during reboot

I am trying to do a factory reset on my computer, and I have tried at least 30 times to restart and hold down the Command+R Keys and absolutely nothing happens. I have tried during different intervals during the reboot, and have tried doing it after a shut down and startup. Nothing happens at all. I have done it at least 15 times when the white screen with the apple pops up. I have waited for the "wait" symbol to try it. What am I missing?! Why won't this work? I cannot get to the point where I can erase everything. When I go in manually through the disk utility, it will not let me erase this way. Help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 8:17 AM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 12:00 AM in response to Miguel-Andres

do I need that DVD? or can I upgrade to the newest version, would I then be able use the command R option for bringing up the disk utility partition?

What exactly are you trying to do?

OS X Lion and above includes the addition of a Recovery partition (not a "disk utility partition"). If you had OS X Lion or above, then Command-R would boot the Mac to the Recovery partition. From that partition, you could then run the Disk Utility application.

With 10.6.8, you can boot from the DVD (Hold down the C key while restarting), once done, you could also run the Disk Utility application.

Note: There is no way that we can tell whether you can upgrade from 10.6.8, since you haven't provided any specific information about your Mac other than it is a MacBook.

Nothing happens when pressing Command+R during reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.