Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport card on MacBook stops working when moved

Hi everyone, I've had this issue with my MacBook and I really don't know what to do anymore right now, so I hope someone here could give some advice.

Last week my Wifi stopped working properly. I noticed that nothing connected anymore, and then it turned out that the whole Wi-Fi dialogue became unresponsive. The list of networks didn't update, it was continuously scanning for networks, and in the network preferences, the Wi-Fi showed up as being off. Clicking the button to turn it back on didn't do anything (it wasn't greyed out, I could click on everything).

I came to the conclusion that this seemed to happen only when I moved the MacBook. The WiFi was fine when I just sat at my desk all day, but most of the time when I went to another room with it, this happened.

I was on the phone with Apple support for a few days. They suggested several things to test. We tested, we waited, I observed, we tested again, waited observed. Needless to say, the problem persisted. After a few days I was advised to reset my MacBook completely. So I did, waited observed, and it still happened.

I was then advised to go to the Apple store. I spoke to a Genius, he told me that the Bluetooth wasn't working and that it's probably the same issue. He told me they would replace the AirPort card and that would probably fix the issue. Several days later I got a call that this didn't fix the issue and that they would have to replace the logic board. At this point I had to keep telling the people from the Apple store what the actual problem was, which is that the WiFi stopped working after a while when I moved my MacBook sometimes. They kept reassuring me that it was the same as the Bluetooth and kept referring to the Bluetooth in all communication. I asked them to test the WiFi first, which they obviously didn't do, since they didn't know that was the issue, before I authorized replacing the logic board. They said ok and that they would call me before the store closes on the same day.

Well I didn't hear from them, and eventually after a few days when I called them to see what's happening with it, they told me they replaced the logic board and that it was all working. I picked it up, I went home, I used it for a couple of hours and then the WiFi thing happened again. So this is where I'm at right now.

So, where do I go from here?

I am really dependent on my MacBook atm, as I'm finishing up my PhD thesis. I'm also not rich, so I can't have all parts of my MacBook be replaced to see if anything ends up working. I figure I might as well buy a new one if that's the only possibility?

Every Apple employee I've been in contact with was really friendly, so I can't complain about that, but I feel like nobody is really looking at the actual issue that I'm having, so handing the MacBook in for repairs again really worries me (apart from the fact that it takes a lot of time that I shouldn't spend if nothing comes out of it).

Does anybody have some advice?

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 2:57 PM

23 replies

Feb 5, 2015 3:43 PM in response to spudnuty

Non Retina.

It doesn't drop out when I move the display. I have to pick it up and put it down for it to happen. It doesn't happen every single time, but as far as I can tell, the issue only happens when I move it like that.

When it first happened I was running Mountain Lion, I deliberately hadn't done any OS upgrades. I upgraded to Yosemite once I reset the MacBook last Friday.

Feb 5, 2015 4:22 PM in response to spudnuty

I have done everything with Apple Care. Whatever I did myself I did according to advice from phone support, everything else was done in the Apple store so far.

I really don't know anything about the rest of what you're suggesting. Do you think it would be useful to bring the MacBook back to check the antennas?

I'm not sure if I understand your question about software. When I reset my MacBook I copied over my old files (Documents, Movies, Pictures, Desktop), but none of the software because I figured if there's a software problem, it would be good to check before installing everything. All the links that lead to information regarding the fixing of WiFi issues always address connectivity. And connectivity isn't my problem, it's the fact that AirPort just completely stops working at all, it can't even find networks, let alone let me do anything at all with it until it reboots.

In fact, one time when I booted the MacBook and checked the WiFi settings it told me no card was installed. This hasn't happened again though.

I'm also not sure about your last question (sorry, this is still a bit new for me). With the phone support I went through the advanced settings, we deleted all saved networks, renewed the DHCP settings, created a new location and looked at the order of networks in the network preferences (to make sure that WiFi was on top, primarily).

Feb 5, 2015 5:30 PM in response to spudnuty

Well after another conversation on the phone it turns out that I was being lied to basically, and nobody has informed me of the whole truth of what has actually been done to the MacBook at this store. It looks like I still need to get the logic board replaced. It's an Apple store in the Brisbane area. I'm very unhappy with their customer service so far, so right now I don't want to publicly state which one it is yet.

I will make a decision on purchasing the logic board and update the thread if I go ahead with it and have something new to add (success or failure).

Feb 5, 2015 6:07 PM in response to chuls

OK totally understand that.

Did they do the following procedures?

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reset NVRAM

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

"nobody has informed me of the whole truth of what has actually been done to the MacBook "

It would seem to me that if there was a logic board problem that it would be consistantly there. If moving the MBP causes a failure that would seem to be a connection problem. Specifically the connection to the WiFi/BlueTooth board.

Have the Apple Hardware test ready to run:

OS X Yosemite: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

and the next time it fails see if you can get it to kick out a failure code. Then they'd have to replace the logic board.

Feb 5, 2015 6:23 PM in response to spudnuty

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

To be honest I feel like they are just going through a checklist of replacing different parts and see if it works without really knowing what's going on. And this really worries me. I won't be handing my MacBook in to this particular store again, but who knows if going to a different one will help, seeing as it's obviously not a day-to-day issue?

I don't know if they did those procedures. Do you think I should try those?

I see that the descriptions are quite detailed, but is there any major risk if I do those?

I will keep the Apple Hardware test ready, thank you for this suggestion, also. But as far as I can see I would have to restart the MacBook to do this test, right? Perhaps I need to try and move it while I'm doing this test?

Feb 5, 2015 6:58 PM in response to chuls

Resetting PRAM and SMC are very benign and wouldn't cause a problem.

" Perhaps I need to try and move it while I'm doing this test?"

So this is the only Apple Store in Brisbane. So were they able to duplicate your problem? I so then you have a problem documented linked to your MBP, right?

So make sure they replace the logic board before your Apple Care Runs out.

If the store is reticent then try calling Apple:

Explain your problem.

Feb 5, 2015 7:07 PM in response to spudnuty

Ok thanks.

There is at least other Apple store, and I'm thinking about going there instead.

About what happened at the store that I went to so far. The Genius did a Diagnostics test. It seemed like the only thing that showed up was the Bluetooth not working, and that's what they've been going with. Every time I talked to them they started addressing the Bluetooth and every time I told them in detail about what is happening with my Wi-Fi, but they kept insisting it's the same problem as the Bluetooth. And that is why they are suggesting replacing the logic board now. I doubt that they ever thought about recreating the problem because none of them ever even seems to know about it in the first place. I literally asked one of them "Do you know what problem I have been experiencing with my MacBook?" and he had no idea.

I assume this is because the Wi-Fi itself didn't show up as a problem in the diagnostics, but the Bluetooth did. And nobody ever tried to make the Wi-Fi issue happen, seeing as its not permanent.

I'm not under Apple Care anymore (sorry, something I said earlier was a miscommunication on my part - I misunderstood the question), I'm actually paying for all of this, which is why I'm thinking very hard about getting the logic board replaced.

Airport card on MacBook stops working when moved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.