Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't sync ipod to new computer (windows 8.1)

My 160 gb ipod was first synced to a mac. Now I need to sync a windows 8.1 computer. I do not need to save the data, but windows automatically ejects the ipod, so I can't just restore to factory settings. My older 75 gb ipod and iphone 4 synced fine. What do I do?

iPod classic, Windows 8, ipod model MC297LL 2.0.4 Mac

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 4:40 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2015 6:20 AM in response to wasabeenut

Hi wasabeenut,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you iPod classic was synced to a Mac, and now needs to be formatted to sync to a PC.

If the PC is automatically ejecting the iPod, first try placing it in Disk Mode and restoring it using iTunes on your PC:

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

1. If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.
  2. Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.
  3. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  4. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  5. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    User uploaded file
  6. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".

Restoring iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If the iPod is still not recognized by iTunes on the PC, see this article for more troubleshooting help:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Sincerely,

Jeremy

can't sync ipod to new computer (windows 8.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.