Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 5th generation sound up all the way but can't hear anything

I Got a brand new 5th generation iPod and when I got it all sounds worled but now I've had it for a week and no sounds work at all nor even lock sounds, keyboard clicks of notifications. Sound only works with head phones/ ear buds or a speaker. Can anybody help me?

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 1:46 AM

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a hardware problem. If defective and not abused, Apple will exchange your iPod at no cost

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2015 1:46 AM in response to Daraddogs

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a hardware problem. If defective and not abused, Apple will exchange your iPod at no cost

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

iPod 5th generation sound up all the way but can't hear anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.