Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does a ~$ in front of a file name in finder denote

I'm a 3 day old Mac novice so forgive my ignorance in advance. A search revealed nothing I could find of assistance.

Looking through Apps and Documents in Finder under the All My Files tab I have many items named beginning with ~$ e.g. Formal Letter 1.DOC and

~$rmal Letter 1.DOC

I can access the file Formal Letter .DOC1 but clicking on ~$rmal Letter 1.DOC results in a dialogue box stating "~$rmal Letter 1.DOC" can't be opened.

Any explanation as to what these are and assistance in "removing or hiding them" would be appreciated.

Cheers

Lance

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 6:44 PM

10 replies

Feb 6, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc Davis

I have always been looking in Finder. I never knew what Spotlight was or where to find it until you suggested rebuilding the index. This is a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

User uploaded file

As you can see I'm in Finder, with All My Files highlighted and for the purpose of this exercise have highlighted two corresponding entries.

You can see the culprit entries are very small files and likely to be useless as you say, however I wanted to understand what they were and if they were likely to create any problems if they were removed.

Unless someone comes by and tells me different, after I will complete my next backup and copy them to a remote disk, delete them from my HD and see what happens.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers

Feb 6, 2015 3:33 PM in response to Lancemann27

Those files look like the temporary files created when you open a Word document in Windows. The file is there as part of the recovery file that gets created in Word incase the computer was to crash before you close Word. Then the next time you open Word, the file would be recovered. When you save the file and close Word, the file is deleted. However, I have witnessed sometimes in Windows if you save a file to another location with a different name, that temporary file can somehow get orphaned, and remain on the disk where the file was opened from originally. If these names resemble some Word files you currently have and they are up to date, then deleting these temporary files will not hurt anything.

What does a ~$ in front of a file name in finder denote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.