Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2 is on the network but not available through Home Sharing or AirPlay

My ATV2 has been working well for many years but recently won't connect through Home Sharing. It is on the same network as my Mac and I can rent through the iTunes Store, connect my YouTube account etc but it doesn't appear on any devices as an AirPlay option. I'm logged in using the same Apple ID on all machines and devices. I've restarted the ATV2, iTunes, my Mac, my router and checked that everything is running the latest software. They all were except for iTunes, which I updated (12.1), but it had no effect on the problem. I had not recently made any changes to any device or software, that I'm aware of.

It did briefly work (no change made) a day later but wouldn't connect the next time I tried. I've spent the last few days trying to find a solution and found nothing.

Any advice on how to progress?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 5:39 AM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Darren Franks

Hi Darren,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like you're not able to access the iTunes library on your Mac from your Apple TV using Home Sharing.

Restarting all of the devices and updating software are good troubleshooting steps, and next I'd recommend turning off Home Sharing on your Apple TV and Mac, and then back on again.

If necessary, you can refer to these links for Home Sharing setup:

Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation and 3rd generation) - Apple Support

iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer - Apple Support

If the issue persists, you may also want to double check your network/router settings using steps four and five in this troubleshooting guide:

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Apple TV 2 is on the network but not available through Home Sharing or AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.