Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I mute a text alert sound?

Most frustrating...I bought a text alert tone from the Apple iTunes store...problem is, when I get a text, nothing seems to mute it - volume buttons, power button, etc have no affect and the alert plays at full volume until it's done...unless I go to unlock my phone, when I touch the 1st digit of the 4 digit code, it cuts the volume of the alert, but then it comes back full volume when I do what I need to do and hit the power button to turn the screen off...

This really stinks for at work, and when sleeping....you used to be able to silence a text tone alert with the volume buttons - what happened?

Using iPhone 6, with iOS 8.1.3 (latest as of 2/6/2015)

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 8:03 PM

First, when someone signs up here to comment.. why do yall think its a good idea to send them to the home page rather than back to the page where they signed up to comment from? If someone hits reply and it forces them to sign up to do so,,, then return them to where they were trying to comment. Its 2017 the net isnt new and that isnt hard.

Second if people have to google how to turn off the volume on a feature on your device, then you have a UI problem.

Seriously, you just got a new iphone.. you are in a meeting and it starts to bing.. they ask you to silence it.. you hit the volume which has been standard way to quiet stuff for decades. and bing bing bing bing bing bing. And they ask you to silent again.. and you say "wait, let me google how"

yeah its fairly easy to do when you know how... but nearly everything else on the planet for the general public, you can look at it and know how. i never had to google how to use a self checkout. Never had to google to use an ATM. never had to google to use a digital gas pump.. and didnt have to google as much with my droid, but apple. .. seems like i am on google every day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 8:03 PM in response to judysings

First, when someone signs up here to comment.. why do yall think its a good idea to send them to the home page rather than back to the page where they signed up to comment from? If someone hits reply and it forces them to sign up to do so,,, then return them to where they were trying to comment. Its 2017 the net isnt new and that isnt hard.

Second if people have to google how to turn off the volume on a feature on your device, then you have a UI problem.

Seriously, you just got a new iphone.. you are in a meeting and it starts to bing.. they ask you to silence it.. you hit the volume which has been standard way to quiet stuff for decades. and bing bing bing bing bing bing. And they ask you to silent again.. and you say "wait, let me google how"

yeah its fairly easy to do when you know how... but nearly everything else on the planet for the general public, you can look at it and know how. i never had to google how to use a self checkout. Never had to google to use an ATM. never had to google to use a digital gas pump.. and didnt have to google as much with my droid, but apple. .. seems like i am on google every day.

Feb 8, 2015 11:46 AM in response to ShorePatrol

Hi ShorePatrol,

Are you having this issue with the single text alert tone you purchased, or with all of your alerts? What happens when you change the text alert tone to a default alert sound? This resource explains all of the ways you can adjust the sound settings for your alerts:

Change sounds, ringtones, and alerts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204019

Change sounds, ringtones, and alerts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You can set sounds for incoming calls as well as text messages, emails, voicemails, calendar alerts, reminders, social media updates, and more.

Change your sound settings

Go to Settings > Sounds. You'll have these options:

• Turn on vibrate (iPhone only).
  • Adjust your ringer and alert volume.
  • Prevent the side buttons from changing the ringer volume.
  • Set your ringtone, text tone, and other alert tones. To set a tone for a specific person, go to their card in Contacts.
  • Turn your keyboard clicks on or off, and turn device lock sound on or off.

Set your device to silent

You'll still hear clock alarms through the built-in speaker when your device is set to silent. You can also use Do Not Disturb to silence calls, alerts, and notifications.

iPhone

Toggle the Ring/Silent switch on the side of your iPhone. You'll still hear audio playback in your music, podcasts, videos, and games.

iPad

Press and hold the Volume Down button.

To mute only notifications, alerts, and sound effects, slide the Side Switch down. If you have an iPad Air 2, turn on Mute in the Control Center. When you turn on Mute, you'll still hear audio playback in your music, podcasts, videos, and games.

iPod touch

Press and hold the Volume Down button.

Set your iPhone to vibrate

You can set your iPhone to vibrate when you get an incoming call:

1. Go to Settings > Sounds.
  2. Turn on Vibrate on Ring and (if you want) Vibrate on Silent.

You can also set vibration patterns for alerts:

2. Select an alert type in the Sounds and Vibrations list.
  3. Tap Vibration and select a pattern.

To create a custom vibration pattern, follow these steps:

2. Select an alert type in the Sounds and Vibrations list.
  3. Tap Vibration > Create New Vibration.
  4. Tap or touch and hold the screen to create a vibration pattern
  5. Tap Save and name your vibration pattern.

Last Modified:

Hope this helps ...

- Judy

How can I mute a text alert sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.