Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded the latest itunes update and it will not play my music and the sound on my computer has been disabled.

I downloaded the latest itunes update on my HP desktop with Windows Vista and it will not play my music and has disabled the sound on my computer?

HPdesktop-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 9:16 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2015 12:25 PM in response to jsacc38

Good Morning jsacc38,

The resource below will help you with the issues you are having with the iTunes for Windows update on your PC:

If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201668

Learn what to do if you can’t install or update iTunes on your Windows PC.

If you can’t install iTunes on your Windows PC, or if you see “error 7” or “error 2” after you install the software, follow the steps below in order.

If you see a different error when trying to launch iTunes, follow the steps in iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues.

1. Make sure that you're logged in to your computer as an administrator.
    If you're not sure if you have an administrator account, read Windows 7: How do I log on as an administrator? You can also refer to your computer's help system, contact your IT department, or visit support.microsoft.com for assistance.
  2. Install the latest Microsoft Windows updates.
    To download the latest updates, visit the Microsoft Windows Update website. iTunes for Windows requires Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, with the latest Service Pack installed. If you can’t install the updates, refer to your computer's help system, contact your IT department, or visit support.microsoft.com for assistance.
  3. Visit the iTunes download page. Click Download Now to download the iTunes installer. When prompted, click Save (instead of Run).
  4. Right click on iTunesSetup or iTunes64Setup (the installer you downloaded in step 3).
    If you have Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8: Choose "Run as administrator."
    If you have Windows XP: Choose Open.
    If you've previously installed iTunes, the installer will prompt you to repair the software.
    After the repair is complete, restart your computer and try launching iTunes.
  5. If iTunes fails to install or repair, it might be necessary to remove components left from a previous installation of iTunes and then reinstall.
    Remove and reinstall iTunes and other software components for Windows XP.
    Remove and reinstall iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
    Songs you bought from the iTunes Store or imported from CDs are saved in your My Music folder by default. Deleting iTunes won’t delete your music.
  6. Disable conflicting software.
    Some background processes can cause issues that prevent applications like iTunes from installing.
    If you installed security software and are having issues installing iTunes for Windows, you might need to disable or uninstall security software to resolve the issues.
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. After the restart, and adjusting the software running on your PC, install iTunes again.

Get more help

If the steps in this article don't help you resolve the issue, you might be able to find a solution through a search of the Microsoft support website.

If you receive errors regarding inaccessible registry keys during installation, try the steps found in "Could not open key" message when installing iTunes or Apple components for Windows.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Have a good weekend!

- Judy

Feb 8, 2015 2:13 PM in response to jsacc38

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it (similar to those above) which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If the advice above doesn't resolve things you could try this alternate version:

iTunes 12.1.0.71 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) - itunes64setup.exe (2015-01-28)

which is a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit version of the core application, similar to previous 64-bit releases.

Or roll back to the previous build:

tt2

I downloaded the latest itunes update and it will not play my music and the sound on my computer has been disabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.