Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant send sms

Hi, i have a Iphone 4s and now i cant send sms anymore, i can recive calls, sms and call people and i can send imessage but only so my email shows.

Thanks for help

Freddie

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 12:11 PM

23 replies

Feb 6, 2015 1:19 PM in response to FreddeB

That is a separate issue. The ability to choose your phone number has to do with iMessage being activated. It has nothing to do with SMS. If you have iMessage problems, and your number is not listed there, that is a separate issue and has to be addressed separately. SMS is a carrier function, they control it. It is not an iPhone problem.

Feb 6, 2015 1:56 PM in response to FreddeB

Then you need to go to Settings>Messages>iMessage and turn it off. Then do a reset on the phone. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone will reboot. After the phone starts up, go back to Settings>Messages>iMessage and turn it on. Make sure it activates. After it does, then go to Send & Receive and make sure your phone number is checked and grayed out.

This is to address your iMessage problem. It has nothing to do with SMS.

Feb 6, 2015 2:01 PM in response to FreddeB

What do you mean you have tried it but it doesn't work? Does iMessage activate? Are you using a supported carrier for the iPhone? Do you have data turned on? The activation of iMessage requires a hidden SMS be sent to the Apple servers in the UK. If you are not using a supported carrier, or you do not have a texting plan, then it will not activate. If it is not activating, then it could be because of your SMS problem we discussed earlier. It would help if we knew where you were and what carrier you are using.

cant send sms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.