Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.3 drains battery on iPhone 5S much faster

I'm sure that several people have noticed this besides me. Since downloading and installing iOS 8.1.3 on my iPhone 5S, my battery life is much shorter.

Yes, I know about closing open apps, turning off Bluetooth, etc. All done before the new iOS. I'm just saying that it's noticeably worse now with everything else being the same. Hopefully, Apple is aware of this and resolves it in the next update.

Please chime in if you're experiencing the same issue, so that Apple can see that it's widespread.

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 12:52 PM

13 replies

Feb 6, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Ira Siegel1

Ira Siegel1 wrote:

I'm sure that several people have noticed this besides me. Since downloading and installing iOS 8.1.3 on my iPhone 5S, my battery life is much shorter.

Yes, I know about closing open apps, turning off Bluetooth, etc. All done before the new iOS. I'm just saying that it's noticeably worse now with everything else being the same. Hopefully, Apple is aware of this and resolves it in the next update.

Please chime in if you're experiencing the same issue, so that Apple can see that it's widespread.

1. This is not an appropriate place to provide feedback to Apple. Go to www.apple.com/feedback or contact Apple directly.

2. This forum is not for conducting polls, as you are attempting to do. Please review the Terms of Use of this forum. [https://discussions.apple.com/terms-and-conditions!input.jspa]

3. None of the devices I own or manage (totals up to about a hundred or so) running iOS 8.1.3 have experienced any decrease in battery life. Your perception is flawed and your conclusions based upon insufficient evidence.

Test your battery life without bias:

Make a backup. Restore as new. Test the issue again. Here's a way to test your battery 'issue' without any bias:

• First, charge up the device to 100%. To enable the percentage indicator, go to Settings > General > Usage, and turn on Battery Percentage.

• Once the device is charged to 100%, make sure to close out all Apps that are running on the device. In iOS 7/8, you close out running apps by double-tapping the Home Button, and then swiping your finger up across the preview screen of each app to move it off the top of the screen.

• Then, turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and cellular data. Settings > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi: OFF, Settings > Bluetooth > Bluetooth: OFF, & Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data: OFF. This will not prevent you from receiving any phone calls.

• Go back to the Home Screen, and take a screenshot. Press both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together briefly, and you will see the screen flash white for a split-second, and an image will be saved to your Photo App Camera Roll.

• Disconnect the iPhone from the charger, and lock the screen so it is dark.

• Let the iPhone sit in this ‘standby state’ for as long as possible, preferably overnight.

• In the morning, unlock the screen, and then take a screenshot of the Home Screen again.

These two screenshots will help to document how long the device was in standby mode, and how much battery percentage was used. Then post your results.

Related links:

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4137

Feb 21, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Ira Siegel1

Ira Siegel1 wrote:

You wrote:

Your perception is flawed and your conclusions based upon insufficient evidence.

Right.

And that's why I see so many threads on this forum posting about the very same thing. With you attempting to negate every one of them.

You'd be surprised how many people jump to a faulty conclusion based upon inaccurate or coincidental evidence, especially those that lack a fundamental understanding of how the technology works.

Use the articles & procedure I provided. If the symptoms remain, then it is a hardware problem, not a software problem. If it was a software problem, then all devices running the same iOS would have the same symptoms. This is clearly not the case.

Mar 1, 2015 8:44 AM in response to sukhid

sukhid wrote:

Hi Ira,

You are not the only one, I am experiencing the same issue. Phone gets warm and battery drain and I have done everything still no change. It is in fact a software issue. Hopefully next weeks update will fix this.

No, it in fact, is not. If it was an iOS issue, then all identical devices running the same iOS version would have the same symptom.

Use the procedure I posted. If the issue remains after the properly using my procedure, it is a hardware issue.

Mar 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Ira Siegel1

I have done all the things listed and still nothing fixed the problem. So I replaced the battery in both the iPhone 5s that I have, still no different. So I replaced the charge ports= no change. I've replaced or disconnected as many hardware items as I could still no change in either phone. If it were hardware it should send an error code at least when I restore the iPhones but it doesn't.

My conclusion it's either the logic board or the software

I'm leaning towards software because I download an app that monitors ram, cpu and processes and the ram is maxed out even when the phone has only apple software from Apple (and the one app) and the phone is empty.

Mar 1, 2015 10:57 AM in response to sukhid

sukhid wrote:

That's funny went the apple store and they scanned my phone told me hardware is good and battery is good.

Then it is likely some form of setting or user data. Erase your device, set it up as new, and test it again. If the issue persists, then it is hardware, because at that point, none of your settings or user data are on the device.

The diagnostics at the Apple store are of a high quality, but are not the final word. Just like the 'Check Engine' light on your care can be off, but there can still be an engine problem.

iOS 8.1.3 drains battery on iPhone 5S much faster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.