Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't boot. Displays no entry sign

My 27" iMac running Yosemite OS won't boot. It just displays a No Entry sign. It has been running successfully with this operating system ever since it was released a few months ago.

As it won't boot, I can't find out any exact details like version numbers etc. I have tried to re-boot several times and the same thing happens.

Any ideas how it can be induced to boot up correctly?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 2:29 PM

Hi RoyHan,

The article linked below details the next steps should you encounter the icon described (also referred to as a prohibitory sign).

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup
http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS2570

Regards,

Allen

2 replies

Feb 13, 2015 7:29 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks Allen. My Mac didn't get as far as the grey screen, just remained black. It turned out to be that the hard drive had failed. I took it back to Apple and they replaced HDD. However, when I got my repaired Mac back I could not restore from Time M/c, it reported not enough space on the HDD. This turned out to be because it had not been formatted. So a quick format solved that problem.

This machine has what I believe they call a fusion drive, i.e. combined SSD and HDD, so now I don't know if the replacement drive has been configured correctly to make use of the SSD as it appears to have all been restored to the HDD!

So I'm starting a new thread re how to make sure the fusion drive is correctly configured.

Thanks again

Roy

iMac won't boot. Displays no entry sign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.