Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This site activity not showing current user activity

When signed in - activity is not showing user activity for the last two days -- but is showing older discussions including some I believe I stopped following.

Participated in does bring up current activity --

So did apple do something - or is it because I stopped following some discussions -- but may have older ones that - do to the difficulty of stop following may not have been cleared.

So anyone else notice this?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 1:10 PM

99 replies

Feb 6, 2015 1:20 PM in response to notcloudy

Howdy .NC(all day)

Home on the range seems a bit flaky indeed lately. RE: Activity Stream - I have seen your same report in another thread, but I believe this may be a function of the ongoing connection to AppleID specific glitches - Phantom Posts, email notice > thread reply in logged out state, are a couple of examples of this. My Activity stream is normal

User uploaded file

There are coders at work most definitely - see:

Is the site in a transition and not yet completely finished?

Why do I always have to type in my password?

both, top o' the list with you Question

ÇÇÇ

Feb 6, 2015 7:58 PM in response to Drew Reece

Howdy Drew

What you describe seems to be similar to the misbehavior within certain threads - that is tied to one's AppleID - which I have dubbed "Phantom Posts"...

• click/tap 'Latest reply' at the top
  • navigate to a certain post from an email notice to reply

and the posts are not there until one posts a reply of at least one character (folks have posted " . " ) to any existing post

comes and goes, but used to be more frequent (I have had only one recently when I used to get them several times a day)

I rarely use Activity Stream(s) so I have not seen the anomaly for myself

Maybe if we struggle through a while, it will resolve "itself"?

ÇÇÇ

Feb 7, 2015 1:03 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

Howdy Drew

What you describe seems to be similar to the misbehavior within certain threads - that is tied to one's AppleID - which I have dubbed "Phantom Posts"...

• click/tap 'Latest reply' at the top
  • navigate to a certain post from an email notice to reply

and the posts are not there until one posts a reply of at least one character (folks have posted " . " ) to any existing post

comes and goes, but used to be more frequent (I have had only one recently when I used to get them several times a day)

I rarely use Activity Stream(s) so I have not seen the anomaly for myself

ÇÇÇ

I don't think this is the same as you describe, your description is something different to what me & notcloudy are seeing & describing.

I have previously seen the issue where new messages do not appear in the thread, but this is specifically the Activity section failing to show new content.

I have one item listed from 2 hours ago as the 'last update' even though I have created multiple posts with some with back & forth between me & the OP.

This thread isn't even appearing in 'All Activity' yet, despite posting here 5 hours ago. My 'All Activity' isn't a complete stream, threads are missing.

It doesn't make much sense in terms of which threads do not update with All Activity, it isn't every thread but it appears to be almost all of them failing (long threads may be the ones that work).

I do rely on 'All Activity' & had email turned notifications off. Some email messages are appearing (very slowly in no specific order), so that doesn't really help I'm afraid. I expect they will flood my inbox in a few hours.

My profile activity does seem to have new the new content, but it is not that helpful to see that I posted something, the replies from others are what I need to see. Drew Reece

No doubt it will start to work at some point.

Feb 7, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew

At least I know I am not alone - first thought this morning was that User Activity was being moved to Following - but then didn't see any way to stop following and there were a couple posts I was not following anymore.

This post did show up in activity - but some posts before it did not.

One thought is that the path or index over the database is somehow corrupted and is causing the problem. Wondering if someone set the pathway/index/key to not update immediately - that would cause this type of problem - another would be that it corrupt or broken and has to be rebuilt.

Feb 7, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

ChitlinsCC wrote:

Howdy Drew

[1] What you describe seems to be SIMILAR to the misbehavior within certain threads ....(Phantom Posts)

SNIP

ÇÇÇ

[1] I don't think this is the same as you describe, your description is something different to what me & notcloudy are seeing & describing.

I have previously seen the issue where new messages do not appear in the thread, but this is specifically the [2] Activity section failing to show new content.

I have one item listed from 2 hours ago as the 'last update' even though I have created multiple posts with some with back & forth between me & the OP.

This thread isn't even appearing in 'All Activity' yet, despite posting here 5 hours ago. My 'All Activity' isn't a complete stream, threads are missing.

It doesn't make much sense in terms of which threads do not update with All Activity, it isn't every thread but it appears to be almost all of them failing (long threads may be the ones that work).

I do rely on 'All Activity' & had email turned notifications off. Some email messages are appearing (very slowly in no specific order), so that doesn't really help I'm afraid. I expect they will flood my inbox in a few hours.

My profile activity does seem to have new the new content, but it is not that helpful to see that I posted something, the replies from others are what I need to see. Drew Reece

No doubt it will start to work at some point.

Buenos dias Drew (y NC-all-day)

notcloudy reports "magically" normal, so all this may be academic

OK. Apples to Apples (so to speak, pun intended)

1. I said "SIMILAR" where your read me saying"the same" - not what I meant to convey. My point was the behaviors seem connected to your AppleID, i.e., you experience it where others do NOT simultaneously
  2. Here's the Apple to apples part - our "WorkFlow" interpretations and semantics regarding them need clarification. I will define for our discussions.
    1. Activity(A) - URL > TitleBarName > Title IN Page
      https://discussions.apple.com/activity > "Activity | ASC" > "Activity Stream - Keep up to date with items that interest you"
    2. All Activity(AA) - URL > TitleBarName > Title IN Page
      https://discussions.apple.com/activity?streamSource=connections > "All Activity" | ASC" > "Activity Stream - Keep up to date with items that interest you"
    3. Drew's Activity(DA) > TitleBarName > Title IN Page User uploaded file
      https://discussions.apple.com/profile/Drew%20Reece/activity [ Drew Reece ] > Drew Reece's Profile | ASC > Drew Reece

Next, it is important that there is differences in the Content OF these different pages AND that the DISPLAY is different depending on one's Logged In State. AND Both (A) & (AA) have the personalized sub-heading "- Keep up to date with items that interest YOU" BUT the CONTENT is markedly DIFFERENT.

If we look at the differences visually (With and without "Stylish" CSS / ASCPowerTools, which is my preference) there are marked differences in look and usability. The real benefit for me is the CSS look on the Main Page of a Forum with some added parameters in the URL by tt2 (SEE Bottom section)

Activity(A)

GUEST LOGGED LOGGED(CSS)

User uploaded file- User uploaded file - User uploaded file

Guest Logged Logged(CSS)

All Activity(AA)

Guest Logged Logged(CSS)

User uploaded file - User uploaded file - User uploaded file

Guest Logged Logged(CSS)

Drew's Activity(DA)

Guest Logged Logged(CSS)

GUEST LOGGED LOGGED(CSS)

Feb 7, 2015 11:27 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Using ASC Main Page - My Preference (as well as several others) for seeing UNread activity

Using Apple Support Communities

- https://discussions.apple.com/community/using_apple_support_communities/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

ADD [ " /content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread] " } to any forum's main page

Used in conjunction with email notices, this works best for me.

LOGGED - NO URL Parameters LOGGED LOGGED(CSS) - UNread in Magenta

Feb 7, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Drew Reece

Unfortunately, this type of glitch has been around for a year or more, especially on weekends - sometimes posts do not show for an hour or more. Sometimes replying with a '.' works - sometimes it does not. I no longer pay attention to all the glitches - such persistent problems have always been brought to the attention of the hosts, so they are aware of it - if it doesn't show after a couple of tries, I just walk away and try again later. Personally, I think the system sometimes just can't handle the traffic - there are over 3 million registered users here worldwide.

Feb 7, 2015 1:08 PM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

- there are over 3 million registered users here worldwide.

Of course there is no way of unsubscribing... 😉 ... which is an aid to inflating the numbers.

Robert

I think you make a great point, Robert. There is no way even 1% of that number is active here at any given moment - even right after the release of a buggy OS.

The only way the inflated numbers are useful is to make excuses to us - certainly not valid info for shareholders - which I am, BTW. - ÇÇÇ

Feb 7, 2015 4:55 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Didn't say it was magically normal - just said posts were showing.

I thought I had stopped following all old discussions - and some more just showed up 😟

I have this site bookmarked at the content page - so I can totally avoid the big icon pictures etc. and probably has a lot of one time users who sign in to create a new question because the initial page doesn't search the existing posts (The search to the right of People does).

This site activity not showing current user activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.