Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my itunes software telling me my iphone is over capacity for photos (stating I have 597 photos on the phone when i only have 59? I can't update phone or take any more photos

storage capacity issue.

I cannot update software or take anymore photos as I am being told i am over capacity - but i only have 59 photos on my iphone and the capacity bar when syncing is saying i have over 500! What gives?

iPhone 4, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 2:41 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2015 2:54 PM in response to lorrainefromclonakilty

Good Morning lorrainefromclonakilty,

The resource below may help you understand what data is taking up space on your iPhone and how to free up some space. You may have pictures stored on your iPhone from text messages, email attachments, etc. that are taking up space besides the pictures you've actually taken with the camera app.

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201656

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You can sync and download many different types of content on your iOS device. Some types of content (like music and videos) use more space than others (like as notes and books). In general, apps that are complex or graphically intense use more space than simpler apps.

If your device is near its capacity or you get an alert that your storage is full, you can remove some of your less used content to make room for more.

View storage usage on your iOS device

Tap Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage to see the amount of space each app and its content takes on your device.

User uploaded file

Tap an app for more detailed information about its usage.

User uploaded file

Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of the app's content, or delete the app and all of its content.

View storage usage for your iOS device in iTunes

When you connect your device and select it in iTunes, you'll see your usage by content type:

• Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones
  • Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows
  • Photos: Camera Roll contents, Photo Stream, and Photo Library
  • Apps: Installed apps
  • Books: iBooks books and PDF files
  • Documents & Data: App content such as contacts, calendars, messages, emails, and their attachments, Safari Offline Reading List, and files that you've created in your apps
  • Other: Settings, Siri voices, and other system data

Hover your mouse over the content type for more information about usage.

User uploaded file

iTunes displays how much space the selected songs, videos, audiobooks, and apps use in the status bar on the bottom of the screen. You can also see this information by selecting an item and then choosing File > Get Info. The size is available in the Summary tab.

You can transfer or sync content to your computer from your device. If you want to remove certain types of content from your device, learn how to manually manage content using iTunes.

Learn more

Learn more about storage capacity on OS X and iOS.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

why is my itunes software telling me my iphone is over capacity for photos (stating I have 597 photos on the phone when i only have 59? I can't update phone or take any more photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.