Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the new ITune update slowing down my pc.

I recently updated ITunes...It now comes with a helper exe. Why did this change...It has slowed down my pc something terrible... I am running Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit..and never had this problem before...

Seems I need the helper exe to access ITunes now...I do not like updates that decide what runs or doesn't run....Is there a solution to this. I have one apple product it is an IPad mini...If it wasn't for the fact that I have purchased music and apps. It would end up in the garbage...That is how upset I am...

If this is a way for Apple to make me want to buy their products it will not work...

I have absolutely no problem with the ITune store on my IPad...just on on my desktop.

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 10:27 PM

3 replies

Apr 7, 2017 2:12 PM in response to theresa62

Apple is unfortunately pushing its users towards Apple Music, therefore building links between your library and its' music store which causes the delay. I realized that even though the mp3 tags and album art on my files are intact it still tries to verify information for each music file you have. And if you have a lot then there is a constant process of data exchange between your computer and Apple Servers. If you are a person who is not interested in downloaded music but would like to sync your own files to your devices here's what you can do:

Go to Itunes / Edit / Preferences

On the General Tab - disable "Show Apple Music Features"

On The Store Tab - disable "download album artwork" and "share details about your library with apple"

On The Advanced Tab - disable "send diagnostics and usage data to Apple"

The progress wheel on the top left was getting interrupted every few seconds before I have done these changes. After these changes it is running smoothly now. I hope this works for you too.

Feb 9, 2015 8:01 AM in response to theresa62

Hi theresa62,

The resource below explains the processes that are involved with the iTunes software installed with Windows 7. It's possible to use your iPad mini without the corresponding iTunes software on your Windows computer .... but it would limit what you can do with it. You can't sync your iPad with your computer, use iCloud services, etc. without the software. The choice is totally up to you.

iTunes for Windows: Background processes installed on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201999

iTunes for Windows: Background processes installed on Windows XP, Vista, and 7

iTunes for Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) installs some processes that run in the background. Below is a brief explanation of what each process does.

Process What it does
AppleMobileBackup.exe Backs up the data on your iPhone or iPod touch
AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe Listens for commands to help iTunes communicate with devices
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe Allows iTunes to recognize iPhone and iPod touch
AppleMobileSync.exe Synchronizes iPhone or iPod touch data with your computer
distnoted.exe Allows iTunes to sync with iPhone and iPod touch
iPodService.exe Allows iTunes to access devices.
iTunesHelper.exe "Listens" for commands to help iTunes communicate with devices (such as iPod).
iTunesPhotoProcessor.exe Transcodes photos and artwork for devices
MDCrashReportTool.exe Extracts log reports from the device and submits them to Apple (if selected)
mDNSResponder.exe Allows iTunes to discover services on the local network (music sharing, Apple TV, AirTunes). Also known as Bonjour for Windows.
SyncServer.exe Coordinates the synchronization processes
qttask.exe Provides a QuickTime icon in the Notification area (system tray) of the Windows Task bar. This process might or might not appear depending on your configuration of QuickTime and whether the QuickTime icon is enabled in the Notification area.
Processes depending upon Sync configuration What it does
dotmacsyncclient.exe* Syncs the device with iCloud
com.google.ContactSync.exe* Google contact syncing
com.apple.IE.client.exe Syncs the device with Internet Explorer
com.apple.Outlook.client.exe Syncs the device with Outlook
com.apple.Safari.client.exe Syncs the device with Safari
com.apple.WindowsContacts.client.exe Syncs the device with Windows Address Book / Windows Contacts
com.apple.WindowsMail.client.exe Syncs with Windows Mail
com.yahoo.go.sync.client.exe* Syncs with Yahoo

*These processes will require internet access to sync. You must allow these processes internet access through your firewall in order to complete their functions. For more details, see iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.

Note: Depending on your configuration, some of these background processes may not appear. iTunes can start other background processes to perform various tasks like syncing and diagnostics. New functions may be added to these background processes in the future. Please note that you should not disable these processes even when iTunes is not open on the computer.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Regards,

- Judy

Why is the new ITune update slowing down my pc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.