Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote access

i have two macs about 5 miles apart, both are signed in ti iCloud, both have Back to my Mac enabled, the one I want to access is set to wake for Wifi purposes.

How can send the wake signal and then access the Mac?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2.3GHz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM,

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 11:58 PM

8 replies

Feb 7, 2015 12:21 AM in response to cadplan45

Wake on LAN uses a 'magic packet'. The packet itself doesn't cross the internet.

You need a device at the other end to send the magic packet for you. An Apple Airport should handle this as part of the bonjour sleep proxy…

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy - Apple Support

If you don't have an Airport you will need to configure a router or other device to do the wake on LAN for you.

Feb 7, 2015 9:46 AM in response to cadplan45

I'm afraid it sounds like that may need checking.

It's painful to set this up on your own, you need someone at the other end to boss around to wake up Macs whilst you check settings etc 🙂

I tend to make both ends stay awake whilst I check that they work before trusting them to be woken from sleep on the network. Check your router is allowing UPnP NAT/PMPso you can contact from both ends too.

remote access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.