Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect old MacPro to existing non-Apple wireless network

My son has asked me to help setup his system. He has a Mac Pro 1,1 running OS 10.5.8 without built in wireless connectivity. He has access to a non-Apple based wireless network; there is from his location no possibility of connecting to the network by ethernet cable. We have access to a new Airport Express, a first generation Airport Express 802.11n, and an Airport Express 802.11n (2nd Generation.) We would appreciate any help getting connected to wifi. Many Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 9:11 AM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2015 10:27 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass' approach would be the least complex and most likely to succeed provided you get a USB Wi-Fi dongle with Mac support. I recommend a Dual-Band (2.4 AND 5GHz) if you can.

a non-Apple based wireless network

If that network is at least 802.11n (802.11g is NOT good enough) there is a possibility it could be combined with an Apple Router to make one of several different kinds of extended, multi-Router networks.

Performance of such Networks (where the Routers are connected only by Wi-Fi) STINKS. Half the Wi-Fi bandwidth is wasted in communicating between the Routers. There is also some risk that your particular third-party Router will not 'play nice with others' and such a network cannot be set up.

Feb 7, 2015 10:25 AM in response to BAF123

Other than adding wireless where compatibility is the issue, I would say to avoid or that Apple brand networking equipment is oversold and less important.

First place to start a search:

AccelerateYourMac

From its search of its database of user reports are excellent tips.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mac+Pro+wireless&sitesearch=xlr8yourmac.com&gws_ rd=ssl

Connect old MacPro to existing non-Apple wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.