Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No firewire 800 after Yosemite upgrade on my Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012

Hi people, I have my film material on the three “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” drives so very valuable. I need to start to edit on Final Cut Pro as soon as I can.

I have done everything Mac support suggested. I did not change anything in my system. My three “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” works on other computers but not my Macbook pro 15-inch, mid 2012. It works also with the USB 2 cable and computer port on my Macbook pro. I have tried everything I could think of and found on the internet to fix the problem without luck.

Under System Information-hardware, the firewire bus reads: Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec.

When I plug the hard drive into my computer with the firewire cable it gets power and runs, but the power indicator light does not blink. All this worked when I was using Mavericks but the moment I updated to Yosemite, using the firewire my WD hard drives did not show up on my computer. I thought downgrading back to Mavericks would help but did not. So something happened when I upgraded to Yosemite.

This does not sound like a WD problem but I would appreciate your support on this too thanks.

A summery below of what I’ve done:

I installed OS X combo update (both using Mavericks and Yosemite).

Repaired my HD Disk Permission in Disk Utility.

Repaired Disk Permission every time I updated software.

I reseted the PRAM.

Updated all “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” with WDFirmwareUpdater (using USB).

Tried different cables without luck.

Tried the drives on a iMac and they worked.

Used TechTool Pro 7.

The only option left I can think of is to reset, reactivate or reinstall the firewire port firmware or something, if its at all possible? It can’t be damaged because the hard drives get power and run when firewire cable is connected to them. I wonder if formatting my Macbook pro HD and reinstalling it with the copy that worked before might help? I had to that when the previous attempt of installing Yosemite failed.

Well, I hope this is helpful to help solve my problem?

Hear from you.

Marius

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 10:11 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Mac support, I have my film material on the three “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” drives so very valuable. I need to start to edit on Final Cut Pro as soon as I can.

I have done everything you suggested without luck. I did not change anything in my system. My three “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” works on other computers but not my Macbook pro 15-inch, mid 2012. It works also with the USB 2 cable and computer port on my Macbook pro. I have tried everything I could think of and found on the internet to fix the problem without luck.

Under System Information-hardware, the firewire bus reads: Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec.

When I plug the hard drive into my computer with the firewire cable it gets power and runs, but the power indicator light does not blink. All this worked when I was using Mavericks but the moment I updated to Yosemite, using the firewire my WD hard drives did not show up on my computer. I thought downgrading back to Mavericks would help but did not. So something happened when I upgraded to Yosemite.

This does not sound like a WD problem but I would appreciate your support on this too thanks.

A summery below of what I’ve done:

I installed OS X combo update (both using Mavericks and Yosemite).

Repaired my HD Disk Permission in Disk Utility.

Repaired Disk Permission every time I updated software.

I reseted the PRAM.

Updated all “My Passport Studio 2TB firewire 800” with WDFirmwareUpdater (using USB).

Tried different cables without luck.

Tried the drives on a iMac and they worked.

Used TechTool Pro 7.

The only option left I can think of is to reset, reactivate or reinstall the firewire port firmware or something, if its at all possible? It can’t be damaged because the hard drives get power and run when firewire cable is connected to them. I wonder if formatting my Macbook pro HD and reinstalling it with the copy that worked before might help? I had to that when the previous attempt of installing Yosemite failed.

Well, I hope this is helpful to help solve my problem?

Hear from you.

Marius

No firewire 800 after Yosemite upgrade on my Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.