Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import third party software instruments into Garageband 10.0.3?

After attempting to select from my collection of third party software instruments, I find myself hard pressed to find any helpful information in this support community. The Edit tab in 6.0.5 has been replaced with a drop-down menu on the track header that lists "Plug-ins", but the section is greyed out. So I can only assume there is some sort of process I must follow to import my third party software instruments into Garageband 10.0.3. Since nothing related to this topic appears here, I suppose I'll have to bug Native Instruments.

Also, the piano roll edit window is either painfully slow, glitchy or completely unresponsive. It's as though 16GB of RAM isn't enough. Funny that the piano roll edits were smooth as glass using GB 6.0.5 and my TPSI worked seamlessly with that interface. And that was BEFORE upgrading from 8 to 16GB of RAM.

I've been a faithful Mac User since 1990, but between this kind of baloney and the crash-happy nature of Yosemite, all I can say is I am getting very disillusioned with Apple.

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 11:14 AM

3 replies

Feb 7, 2015 12:06 PM in response to tarnold777

You can use Audio Units with GarageBAnd 10, like before with GarageBand 6.0.5. But not all Audio Units are compatible, see this link:

GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins

Audio Units are installed in the folder /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

User uploaded file

Once installed, you should be seeing them in the Info panel of a track in the Smart Controls:

Click the "plug-Ins", and then either "FX" or "Components" to reveal the menu:

User uploaded file

How do I import third party software instruments into Garageband 10.0.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.