Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 160 GB Not on iTunes List While Connected

Dear guys (Apple Supporter's)

Since i upgraded my Macbook Pro to Yosemite OS, of course iTunes also to latest version, Before upgraded, My iPod classic was connected, synchronise very good but after all has seems to be changed. My iPod classic now not connected to the latest iTunes version (not on the list devices while like others iPad, iPhone shown on the list). But on the iPod screen show that iPod is "connected, do not disconnect".

I've been trying to solve the all problem including to re-installing iTunes, Hard reset the iPod, and doing the step from apple troubleshooting https://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

But seems not going work.

Any another solution from you guys, please?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), New iPad, iPod Classic, iPhone 3Gs

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 12:30 PM

6 replies

Feb 11, 2015 2:53 PM in response to vaiobum

Hi vaiobum,

I had the same with my iPod Classic 160GB. I spent a bunch of hours trying to fix it up... restoring manually, setting iPod on disk mode, even using the Disk Utility to erase it. But nothing worked until I saw this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/52450/Can%27t+Restore+iPod-+unknown+error+oc curred+%281416%29#answer52462

The post explains the way to clear your iPod out using a few commands on Terminal. It solved my problem.

Feb 11, 2015 3:43 PM in response to vaiobum

Hello vaiobum!

This can be either an easy or a hard fix. Make sure of the following:

✅ You are using an original 30-Pin Connector with your iPod.

✅ You are on the latest iTunes & Software version(s).

✅ The 30-Pin Connector is completely plugged into the iPod.

Make sure the following does not apply:

✖ There is no lint/other item(s) in the 30-Pin Connector area of the iPod.

✖ There is no lint/other item(s) in the USB Connector area of the MacBook.

The iPod, iTunes and/or MacBook are on older Software version(s).

If you've tried all the solutions and make sure all the items with a red "✖" do not apply, try using a different USB slot and/or a different 30-Pin Connector.

Contact me with any more question(s) and let me know what happens.

Thanks!

- Ronní J.

Apple Support Communities

iPod 160 GB Not on iTunes List While Connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.