Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formula required for milk production regime

Month Herd Size New Additions in Herd

Milk Production/cow

(Litres)

Total Milk Production

(litres)

Jan

10 10 100
Feb 20 10 10 + 10 100+100
April 20 0 8 + 10 80+100
May 20 0 5 + 10 50+100
June 20 0 2 + 10 20+100
July 40 20 1+8+10 10+80+200

Hello,

I want to make cash flow for dairy farm, as you may know as the time passes the milk production of the cows gradually decreases. As you can see in the table above I have selected the text colour for every new purchase of cow come in the farm. Till now I have manually put the milk produced per cow for every new herd can somebody please help me to make a formula so I do not have to manually decrease the milk production. I just put the new herd size and total milk production automatically calculated in the last column for the next 5 months. thanks 🙂

Further Explanation of the table:

First purchase of 10 cows give 10 litres/cow milk for 2 months then they decrease it to 5 litre/cow in the third month. Every new addition in the herd will follow the same pattern.

Apple Numbers 3.5.2.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 2:01 PM

20 replies

Feb 7, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

Hello, Aqeel!

I don't use Numbers but I am bumping this message as it is unique but needs a practical solution. It is doable. You would need some calculation that adjusts for the aging, as you write, assuming that cows can give 10 liters for each of 2 months and then 5 liters per month from then on.

There are experienced Numbers users here who would surely be able to give you an elegant solution. They include Wayne Contello, Jerrold Green1, Barry, Yellowbox, and Badunit *. So perhaps one of them will show up.

* My apologies to those whom I left out.

Feb 7, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Sparkleberry

Thank you for bumping. Cows gives 10 litre for first two months then 8 litres for next month and 5 for next and 2 for the next month as it is shown in the table.

Yes I think it perhaps the eye of an expert user solve the puzzle for me.

This needs correction!

Further Explanation of the table:

First purchase of 10 cows give 10 litres/cow milk for 2 months then they decrease it to 8 litre/cow in the third month. In the fourth month the milk production becomes 5 litre/cow and in the fifth month it becomes 2 litres/cow. Every new addition in the herd will follow the same pattern.

Feb 13, 2015 4:46 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thank you for your reply. But actually this does not fulfil my requirement because each animal in the herd will behave differently in the milk production. The best we can do to generalise the behaviour is to categorise every new purchase as a new animal and then work with that for the months it will produce milk.

In this case for the first two months cows will produce 10 litres/cow then they will decrease it to 8 litre/cow in the third month. In the fourth month the milk production becomes 5 litre/cow and in the fifth month it becomes 2 litres/cow. Every new addition in the herd will follow the same pattern.

Feb 13, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

for the first two months cows will produce 10 litres/cow then they will decrease it to 8 litre/cow in the third month. In the fourth month the milk production becomes 5 litre/cow and in the fifth month it becomes 2 litres/cow. Every new addition in the herd will follow the same pattern.

Are you trying to do something like this?

User uploaded file

In C3, copied right and down: =IFERROR($A3×VLOOKUP(C$2−$B3+1,PerCow::$A:$B,2,0),"")

This assumes the cows are "put out to pasture" after the 5th month following the month they were added to the herd, and thus stop producing. But if that's not generally the case you can just extend the two tables.

SG

Feb 13, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

Hello

You may use SUMPRODUCT() to calculate the total litres for each month such that -

∑ { [number of cows of i'th month] * [liters per cow of i'th month] } : i = 1..N

E.g., (N = 6)

User uploaded file

Litres A1 month A2 6 A3 5 A4 4 A5 3 A6 2 A7 1 B1 litre/cow B2 1 B3 2 B4 5 B5 8 B6 10 B7 10

Table 1 A1 month A2 * A3 * A4 * A5 * A6 * A7 Jan A8 Feb A9 Mar A10 Apr A11 May A12 Jun B1 herd size B2 0 B3 0 B4 0 B5 0 B6 0 B7 =B6+C7 B8 =B7+C8 B9 =B8+C9 B10 =B9+C10 B11 =B10+C11 B12 =B11+C12 C1 new cows C2 0 C3 0 C4 0 C5 0 C6 0 C7 10 C8 10 C9 0 C10 0 C11 0 C12 20 D1 total litres D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 =SUMPRODUCT(C2:C7,Litres::B$2:B$7) D8 =SUMPRODUCT(C3:C8,Litres::B$2:B$7) D9 =SUMPRODUCT(C4:C9,Litres::B$2:B$7) D10 =SUMPRODUCT(C5:C10,Litres::B$2:B$7) D11 =SUMPRODUCT(C6:C11,Litres::B$2:B$7) D12 =SUMPRODUCT(C7:C12,Litres::B$2:B$7) E1 litres/cow E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 =D7/B7 E8 =D8/B8 E9 =D9/B9 E10 =D10/B10 E11 =D11/B11 E12 =D12/B12

Rows 2 thru 6 in Table 1 are required to keep SUMPRODUCT() from throwing error in rows 7 thru 11.

* Tables are built in Numbers v2.

Hope this may help you get the basic idea.

H

Feb 14, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

Just being curious; what will be the formula if we keep the number of animals constant for few months?

How about something like this? You add a row that calculates the Herd Size in the Footer Rows at the bottom of the table. Then you add body rows to the Estimated Production table and enter the Cows Added and Month Added that result in a Herd Size that stays constant at whatever level you want. It takes a little trial and error but shouldn't be too hard. Here I quickly saw that I needed to add 10 cows in month 6 and 15 in month 7 in order to keep the herd size at 40. In month 8, 10 more need to be added, so add a body row to the table and enter 10 and 8 in columns A and B.

User uploaded file

The formula in C12, copied right: =SUMIFS($A,$B,"<="&C2,$B,">"&C2−5).

SUMIFS(<the column to sum>,<first test column>,<condition to apply>,<second test column>,<condition to apply>)

This tells Numbers to sum the numbers in column A where the number in column B is less than or equal to C2 (don't count cows added in the future) and where the number in column B is greater than or equal to C2-5 (don't count cows added so long ago they aren't in the herd any more).

This, as before, assumes a cows produces for 5 months only, and then leaves the herd. You may have to adjust those assumptions to fit the actual situation.

SG

Feb 21, 2015 12:09 PM in response to SGIII

Thank you for your input. SGIII actually I have made an individual sheet for milk calculation and I put the herd size in another sheet which is linked to the milk calculation sheet. But the problem I am facing is sometimes one animal has to be sold so when I subtract the number of animals which are to be subtracted the milk production remains same and and its monetary value is added to the revenue. in reality the milk production should be decreased as number of animals are decreased. I think you got the idea!

Thanks 🙂

Feb 21, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

Is there any way I can share the whole numbers sheet?

You mean share the whole Numbers document? (I don't think there's an easy way to share just one sheet). To share a document you can use the Share menu and post the iCloud link. Or you can put the document in Dropbox or similar and post the link to it there.

If you decide to do that, be sure to remove any confidential information before sharing the link.

SG

Feb 25, 2015 12:04 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks man for the response. I have shared the whole document. Here is the link

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/AwBWCAESEKnDd0up_p6eou8mI0IwV-8aKgJUWNqHRj827mcVC 8ahljtNo8bDrK9qWy5AHTEtXxNlv1fj1fBgFwzeuAMCUCAQEEILmw1CfDLoSROcdGWAboG28CG4ZIlrE f5oQC2MakCHHh#Cash

As comments cannot be added in the beta version of Web Numbers. I have created another row to do so. SGIII please have a look, it also shows milk production when number of cows are zero. Please feel free to give any suggestion.

Thanks 🙂

Feb 25, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Aqeel Chaudhry

I have had a look. I don't follow everything you are doing, but have a look at the text box I put on in Milk Production sheet with a function that you might find useful:

=MAX(A-B,0) will effectively "zero out" any negative values resulting when you subtract value B from value A as I understand you are trying to do. That way, you don't have to resort to a custom data format.

SG

Formula required for milk production regime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.