Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My web pages created in iWeb have disappeared

I finally completed the creation of a website in iWeb with some 30 pages last night and uploaded it to to the host GoDaddy.

After upload I went to the URL for my website on GoDaddy and it looked fine. This morning when I opened my Domain.sites2 file

it opened iWeb as if I hadn't done a website at all. I went to a backup Domain.sites2 file that was 1.43 GB in size when when I opened it, the same thing appeared - the opening window in iWeb asking me to choose a template to start creating my website.

My site in GoDaddy is still there, but I do not seem to be able to to open my original iWeb file with all of the 30 website pages,

So I apparently can't make any updates to my website in GoDaddy. Does anyone have any suggestions. I did correct disc

permissions and that did not help.

Zack

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 12:57 AM

What Mac OSX version are you using? Lion or Mountain Lion?

It is just that if you are using Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite, then it is no longer possible to open individual domain.sites files and once you open one domain file, you are not able to open anything else and that is probably what you are finding.

To be able to open individual domain.sites files you will need to download an application such as Domain Cracker or iWeb User Sites. Do a search of this forum and there are multiple topics on it, or do a Google search and you should be able to find it to download.

Can I ask why you decided to use iWeb to create a 30 page new website? Did you actually know that iWeb software has not been supported or sold by Apple for over 2 to 3 years now and is an unsupported product, which is why you are experiencing problems using it?

Perhaps you should look for an alternative - check out RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express, Web Acappella 4 and EverWeb.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2015 12:57 AM in response to jzack52

What Mac OSX version are you using? Lion or Mountain Lion?

It is just that if you are using Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite, then it is no longer possible to open individual domain.sites files and once you open one domain file, you are not able to open anything else and that is probably what you are finding.

To be able to open individual domain.sites files you will need to download an application such as Domain Cracker or iWeb User Sites. Do a search of this forum and there are multiple topics on it, or do a Google search and you should be able to find it to download.

Can I ask why you decided to use iWeb to create a 30 page new website? Did you actually know that iWeb software has not been supported or sold by Apple for over 2 to 3 years now and is an unsupported product, which is why you are experiencing problems using it?

Perhaps you should look for an alternative - check out RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express, Web Acappella 4 and EverWeb.

Feb 8, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid,

I am using OS X 10.7.5 Lion. I have another camera club website and have been using iWeb with it for years without any problems and that is why

I decided to use iWeb for the second website with 30 pages. Of the alternatives that you mentioned - RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express, Web Acapella4 and EverWeb which one do you think is the easiest to use for a novice?

Jzach52

Feb 8, 2015 5:43 AM in response to jzack52

Ethmoid

I downloaded your Domain Cracker program, put it in my dock, clicked on it and found the Domain.sites2 file that I removed from my Library-Application Support-iWeb folder and put it on my desktop. When I selected the Choose Domain file on my desktop it opened and all of my website pages were there. Domain Cracker worked like a charm and saved me a heart attack. I will now store my Domain.sites2 file in my HOME Folder as recommended and not in the iWeb folder in Application Support. Thanks a million for the suggestion.

jzach52

Feb 8, 2015 7:30 AM in response to jzack52

Click on the link that I provided for EverWeb and take a look. EverWeb has been designed to look and feel very much like iWeb and it can do all the things that iWeb did and more - drop down menus and SEO all from within the programme.

EverWeb would be the best, but after that, it comes down to personal preference.

My web pages created in iWeb have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.