Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple 3rd Gen tv not working with iTunes 12.1

So my apple tv 3rd gen is trying to connect to my iTunes 12.1 but can't find it and my iTunes doesn't see my apple tv this all started after i updated iTunes and i tried restoring it and everything but i can't find it in my iTunes

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 6:17 PM

14 replies

Feb 8, 2015 5:31 AM in response to adrianfromel mirage

I put this somewhere else but it's been suggested I start a separate thread. As I think you have the same issue, I've put it here.

Do you mean it says:

"To access your iTunes library on Apple TV, turn on Home Sharing in iTunes in your computer using (email)"

Yesterday, I had the option for computer or apple TV (3rd gen) speakers in iTunes, now there is no option. I have got home sharing on, have restarted apple TV about 6 times, have the latest apple TV software and recently updated to iTunes 12.0.1.71. I also have windows 8.1.

Feb 8, 2015 5:53 AM in response to burzz

Same thing here - whatever I do (restart, remove homesharing, set it back on), Apple TV will now just not connect to iTunes on my iMac. Bizarrely, I can get homesharing and my iPad running, seeing my library...but not on Apple TV. Seems to be an iTunes issue (after the 12.1 update).

iMac 27-inch, mid-2011, OSX Yosemite 10.10.2

Feb 10, 2015 10:01 AM in response to adrianfromel mirage

same problem (apple tv 3, macbook pro, PC)

when i first got the apple tv in september i had tried to stream my tunes (stored on my macbook pro) on the tv and it was fine right out of the box. i hadn't used this feature since but we got a decent tv now. but the apple tv cannot detect the itunes libraries (neither mac nor PC) and i can't play music.

in the meantime i have no problem playing music (stored on my macbook pro) on a PC (homesharing) and vice versa. also i can mirror my (mac's) desktop via airplay and there's no problem with the video nor the audio. to me it looks like an itunes problem. please fix this.

Feb 14, 2015 7:15 PM in response to adrianfromel mirage

I just put up a post about this because I had this problem for weeks. Tried everything, called apple support nothing worked until this. This worked for me:

I am on Windows 7

Wifi with Router

From your PC Start

1. Open Control Panel

2. Open Network and Sharing Center

3. Select your wireless connection

4. Click on Properties

5. Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

6. If it is checked, uncheck it and click ok.

7. Restart Itunes and apple tv

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Feb 16, 2015 10:24 AM in response to jcg77

i just tried jcg77's solution, didn't work for me.

my PC is wired so i selected "local area connection properties" instead of wireless connection as stated. unchecked ipv6, restarted macbook, apple tv and router. (itunes didn't load when i restarted macbook and the whole laptop stopped responding so i had to do a hard reset as well)

no progress, apple tv still tells me to turn on home sharing. tried on two itunes accounts, on a macbook and a desktop pc (windows 7).

what i don't understand is if apple tv can't see my itunes library then how come i am able to stream directly from it (using the airplay icon in itunes)

Mar 19, 2015 7:51 PM in response to adrianfromel mirage

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. However, I'm running iTunes on Windows 7 64-bit machine. I cannot see my iTunes library on a 2nd & 3rd generation Apple TV. I was having no issues till the recent releases of iTunes 12. Airplay to the 2nd gen Apple TV does not work now either. All devices are on the same network and 5ghz. I have, on occasion, been able to turn off home sharing on iTunes and back on, and been able to see my library. But it only lasts for maybe 10mins max. I've never had to configure anything on my router or PC in the past to get this to work. Any help is appreciated.

Jun 27, 2015 2:20 AM in response to adrianfromel mirage

Has anyone tried just quitting your iTunes and opening it back up? I had the same problem that everyone was having. Apple TV would not connect to my computer. After an hour of internet searches I came across a simple troubleshooting page that gave that as an option. I thought "Nah! It's got to be more complicated than that!" Sure enough, I quit ITunes and opened it back up and VOILA!!! It worked. May work for some. Worth a try.

apple 3rd Gen tv not working with iTunes 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.