Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up AV server on mini late 2012. Will upgrade to Yosemite tomorrow. Home Internewt is ATT Sierra mobile hotspot only. So I think I need a wifi router that will tether the hotspot as sole internet source. Recommendation for system set

My system: Mac Mini late 2012 w/ 1 TB disk and *GB memory (for AV server), iPad air 2 w/ 64 GB, iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 6, iPhone 4, Macbook running Yosemite, older Macboo w/ 2GB memory & 160 GB hard drive, 1 TB back up drive, WiFi Printer

Internet: Wireless hotspot ATT 4G LTE limited to 5 GB/mo (no cable or DSL available. Router to be determined

AV equip: Vizio smart TV (WiFi capable & network cable), high end analog audio, DAC, Samsung TV/display w/ HDMI.

Looking for a router recommendation that will utilize my ATT device and stream music (and of course less demanding DATA)

What is/are recommended connection(s) between devices? Hardwire Mini to main TV w/ HDMI, network or USB? Help?

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 7:36 PM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2015 2:12 AM in response to all-in1

What should work is to setup the Mac with internet sharing using wifi and the source and ethernet as the connection for sharing.

You can then connect the router's internet port to the Mac. Make sure that IP address used by the Mac are different than those used by the router. Router's typically use 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx.

You can also setup the router as a repeater and have the Mac assign the IP address for all devices. For how see:

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Feb 8, 2015 3:34 AM in response to all-in1

Another way to set things up, use an Apple Airport Extreme Basestation.

My system setup has a cable modem directly connected to the AEBS.

The AEBS is then setup to do all of the network management, I use

both hardwired and WiFi access via the AEBS. It also has a USB port

that you can use for attaching HDDs for common data access and even

Time Machine backups.

FWIW, here's my system:

2011 MiniServer used as HTPC - hardwired ethernet to AEBS

2010 Mini used as server - hardwired ethernet to AEBS

(these are hardwired simply because of proximity to AEBS but could be WIFi connected)

Late 2013 27" iMac workstation- hardwired or WIFi depending on needs

Early 2011 Macbook Pro - WiFi connected

iPhone 5S - WiFi connected as needed

The 2010 Mini Server I use as my "iTunes hub" set up with Home Sharing and

by running Server on it, have Apple download caching of both Mac and iOS

apps, Time Machine backups and general backups for various content from

the different computers.

Trying to set up AV server on mini late 2012. Will upgrade to Yosemite tomorrow. Home Internewt is ATT Sierra mobile hotspot only. So I think I need a wifi router that will tether the hotspot as sole internet source. Recommendation for system set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.