Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1278 clean install of osx

I have just purchase a used A1278 MBP without the original dvd's. I believe I can buy a copy of SnowLeopard, erase the HD and reinstall OSX to bring it back to factory condition. I have searched the net and seen that people have 2 disks(from factory), 1 with the OSX and the other has apps and drivers. Does the SnowLeopard disk have all these on the 1 disk (OSX, drivers and applications)?

If this is so and I buy a SL disk what is the procedure to perform the clean install?

This is my first experience with Apple products and am confident performing this task with Windows OS.

Also only a couple of start up command work like command -s and option.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 9:54 PM

8 replies

Feb 7, 2015 10:02 PM in response to extra_g

1. It isn't possible to tell whether or not a retail Snow Leopard DVD will work based only on A1278. Append the last three characters of the computer's serial number to http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords= and load the page.

2. If you can use that DVD, it'll have all the OS components on one, but not iLife.

3. Insert it, restart the computer with the C or Option key held down, use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive, and install the OS.

(121907)

Feb 7, 2015 10:18 PM in response to extra_g

1. A retail Snow Leopard DVD won't work on that Mac. Phone Apple and order replacement original disks; if you've made an USB installer from the Mac App Store version of 10.7 or newer, you can use that instead.

2. The computer's exact specifications, including its original OS and the answer as to whether or not the retail DVD would have worked.

(121907)

Feb 7, 2015 10:54 PM in response to Niel

OK system requirement on Apple App Store state i need 10.6.8 which I currently have. If I put a new HD in the MBP will I need to install 10.6.8 before I can install 10.7??

System Requirements An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB free hard drive space
  • 2GB RAM

A1278 clean install of osx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.